PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Oil pressure at oil filter. Messy oil changes! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/oil-pressure-oil-filter-messy-oil-changes-541921/)

Justhereforinfo 01-18-2016 12:06 PM

Oil pressure at oil filter. Messy oil changes!

I swapped my 150k mile 4.8 liter out for an aluminum 5.7. Ever since the motor swap, I have had an unusual amount of oil pressure behind the oil filter when I change the oil. When I loosen the oil filter, I get a lot of oil spilling out from the nipple and filter. It runs down my arm and spills everywhere. I would estimate about 1/4-1/2 quart comes out of the nipple after I remove the filter.

I never had this issue with the 4.8. When I removed the oil filter it would have oil inside the filter, but never would it spew oil from the nipple.

Its like the oil pressure stays contained between the filter and the pump, even days after the motor has been run.

I always change the oil cold. I drain the pan, with the oil cap off of the valve cover. Then I swap the filter.

Is this normal?

Wolftrk99 01-18-2016 12:25 PM

Yes, sounds like the 4.8 was losing oil or there was a problem with the oiling system. Every time ive changed oil on any ls based engine theres a mess of oil that comes out of the filter as soon as its broken loose. I will crack the filter then walk away for a minute of two while it drains out to help reduce the oil down my arm.

terravast4 01-18-2016 12:38 PM

same here..oil always spills over the sides once loosened.

GMCtrk 01-18-2016 01:08 PM

I hate hate hate oil changes with a passion due to the filter.

I wish the filters had a drain on them...or I'm debating just punching a hole in the bottom for future changes.

03sierraslt 01-18-2016 01:59 PM

I use a awl and put a small hole in the bottom and let it drain.

TXsilverado 01-18-2016 02:38 PM

I put down my purse and get my hands a little dirty...

FFDP 01-18-2016 03:08 PM

These trucks were my favorites, about as easy as they come.

Granted aslong as some retard from the dealer didn't crank it on there or 5 guys from valvoline making sure it's tight before it leaves the door.

GM1697 01-18-2016 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado (Post 5336867)
I put down my purse and get my hands a little dirty...

Haha, yeah these oil changes are about as easy as they get. Never thought of punching a hole in the bottom though... I may try that next time.

GREENSIERRA 01-18-2016 07:38 PM

I always just bring some rags under the truck with me cause I know its gonna be messy.
I can normally just loosen it enough to start leaking before I get any on my hands and then loosen the pan bolt and leave for abit.
doesn't get much easier then changing oil on my big truck. lol

Justhereforinfo 01-18-2016 10:00 PM

Its normal then, great. Thanks.