Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Chevy guy looking at the new MT900 1500 (Engine and other options help)....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Non-Chevy guy looking at the new MT900 1500 (Engine and other options help)....?

New guy here and have been searching several different forums for several days and haven't really found what I'm looking for. I don't know if they are just to new for the info to be out there or what so here goes....

I'm trying to find out the difference between the new Gen IV Vortec Max6.0L V8 VVT (L76) and the LS2 6.0L V8 (LS2). Other than the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) of course. Is the engine a good option since they no longer offer a SS model? I just figured it was the next best engine choice over the Gen III Max 6.0L V8 (LQ9) that was in the last SS.

I am still doing all the other research at this point and wanted to find out if the new Max 6.0L is worth the money over the 5.3L engine. Anyone having any problems with them? Are there any other benefits in the 6.0L besides the cc, HP/TQ, etc...difference of course? What about the Heavy Towing package that comes with the 9.5" rearend (what is stock even)? What about the transmissions that come with each? Chevy seems to change a lot on the truck depending what options you get.

In case you are wondering, I won't be towing anything crazy with it so do I really need the 6.0L over the 5.3L? Is the gas mileage that different between the two? I may take it to the 1/4-mile from time to time but don't plan any serious mods (only bolt-ons). It will be more or less my Daily Driver that I play with once in a while.

So if I don't need the 6.0L......what is the benefit of the 5.3L (LH6) and the 5.3L (LY5) other than the Aluminum block....? Which one would I want and WHY? Or should I look at the other 5.3L E85 capable engines?

I've been searching the GM forums for a while but don't seem to be finding the answers I am looking for....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I can tell you that the 6.0 is definately a "thirstier" motor as far as fuel economy goes. The 5.3 is more than capable and really runs strong....IF you really don't plan to mod it much. You should be sure before you buy tho, as there are a ton of guys around here including myself who have done the 6.0 swap. I'd suggest test driving a 5.3 and a 6.0 and deciding for yourself.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, I wonder how the LH6 and the L33 differ?

I have the aluminum block 2005 L33 and it pulled just fine stock. I'm just a go fast freak and put a couple mods to improve performance. I wish I had the 6L now but for what it is the 5.3 does great.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

after everything you said you never established what your goals are... go fast or just an average grocery getter? the 5.3L is a perfectly good motor for the 1/2 ton trucks, but for speed and brute towing force there is no replacement for displacement
Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick™
but for speed and brute towing force there is no replacement for displacement
yep, have test driven both 5.3/6.0 4door 07nbs at my buddies shop, and there is an immediate power difference in the two when getting on it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Get the 6.0 No second thoughts needed.

Personally for me, Im waiting for them to put the 6 speed option in all of the trucks.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The L76 has the Caddy L92 heads and intake, VVT, and Active fuel Management(DOD). The Ls2 heads are more Gen III based. I think the L76 will make 400hp easy with a tune and standard mods.!

Get the Vortecmax It's got DOD as well and gets about the same milage as the 5.3 (little less). But it depends if you keep you foot in it also. Also the VortecMax package comes with the 9.5'' 14 bolt rear end and will tow 10,000#.

The 6.0L option is only another 1,260 BUCKS or so!!!! Get the 6.0L your resale will be higher and you will like it better!

I don't know why GM doesn't make the 6.0L the standard V-8 in the LTZ, the 5.3 the little V-8 in the WT/LT. And discontinue the 4.8L.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I can tell you that the 6.0 is definately a "thirstier" motor as far as fuel economy goes. The 5.3 is more than capable and really runs strong....IF you really don't plan to mod it much. You should be sure before you buy tho, as there are a ton of guys around here including myself who have done the 6.0 swap. I'd suggest test driving a 5.3 and a 6.0 and deciding for yourself.
How much thirstier are we talking city/hwy? Could I hit 20mpg on the highway with either? If the mileage is close, it won't matter to me but if we are talking 10/15 over 15/20 then I don't know if the extra power is worth it to me.

At this time I don't plan big mods. Just CAI, exhaust, tune, 2/4 drop, wheels, etc...to improve the daily duties. I don't plan to drag it all the time. Just once in a while when the other toys are down and to see what it will run.

It will be my daily driver and will pull my other Toys (motorcycles). It's not like I will be pulling things every week, it will be just be on occasion or when going to big events.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trever1t
Geez, I wonder how the LH6 and the L33 differ?

I have the aluminum block 2005 L33 and it pulled just fine stock. I'm just a go fast freak and put a couple mods to improve performance. I wish I had the 6L now but for what it is the 5.3 does great.
How stout can the 5.3 be with the basic mods? I probably won't do heads/cam/blower or anything but if there is a BIG difference when talking upgrades, which is the better platform to start with???

(Sorry for being such a Chevy )
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick™
after everything you said you never established what your goals are... go fast or just an average grocery getter? the 5.3L is a perfectly good motor for the 1/2 ton trucks, but for speed and brute towing force there is no replacement for displacement
I want a QUICK grocery getter that does the daily duties. Some pulling is required but it's not the trucks primary purpose. I only need like 2k lbs. worth of pulling power for my bikes (on occasion) but if I ever tow a car trailer some day I'll need around 5k (very rarely, almost never)....

Quick Reply: Non-Chevy guy looking at the new MT900 1500 (Engine and other options help)....?