PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   New guy here... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/new-guy-here-216962/)

XLR8NSS 09-22-2004 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cakes
Why wouldn't I be coming back?!?!

I don't know, that's what I was wondering. I thought they knew something I didn't.

Anyway, welcome back. :D ;)

onequick5.3 09-22-2004 10:15 PM

Welcome this site is like crack, when I first bought my truck all I wanted was a programmer. Then that wasn't enough, I ordered a cam kit, vette servo, air intake, exhaust, and I am looking at buying a Radix in a couple months. Welcome to the site and try to find a 2nd job your gonna need it!

GoldenVelvet 09-22-2004 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Welcome this site is like crack,

:metoo:

slowprocess 09-22-2004 10:58 PM

Yeah, these guys managed to help me spend just about every penny I made this year. Thanks guys, I'll expect a Christmas card from each and every one of you.

Cakes 09-23-2004 06:56 AM

Oh I know how it is to want to spend every penny I earn (and even some I dont earn) on my vehicles. I have spent a great deal of cash on my 86 Buick Grand National for that extra edge of speed and power. Now its time to do it on a new vehicle. Oh yeah by the way the GN is for sale. E-mail if interested and pictures at the link below. Thanks

moregrip 09-23-2004 07:27 AM

I would get REALLY large metal-flake added to the paint and some 22" wire wheels!:)

welcome!

TigerFan187 09-23-2004 08:56 AM

Man you have the perfect style truck to turn into a beast--------
Regular cab,5.3,4x4,4.10's already in---------If I only new what I would of ended up doing and if I only new what I know now! :bang: I would have the exact truck you have. But its cool its just gonna cost me a assload more money than it could have-----My trucks paid for so thats the cool part! Good luck man and you on the right site for great info! Once you do some mods and you think hell yeah I got a bad ass truck you come on here and many people make you drool but its all what you can afford and want to do!

Cakes 09-23-2004 11:34 AM

TigerFan187, thanks for the compliments. When I went looking for a new truck I had no intentions of buying a performance oriented one. I was looking for something that had a nice ride and had decent power. I know all along I was going to get the 5.3 but I didnt know what rear ratio (3.73 or 4.10). I found this site and did some researching as well as used some of my own knowledge and chose the 4.10. Although I do plan on doing some modifications in the future, I think 2 things need to be addressed right away; the transmission and computer. First the transmission. The transmission has the abilty to handle pretty good power, just not as it sits. In truck form it was designed to have butter smooth shifts. This is good for the driver but not for the transmission. I truly believe with a simple shift kit, Corvette servo, and billet OD servo that the transmission can handle stock power and mild power increases without a sweat. Now to the computer. The computer is the limiting factor to these engines and transmissions. Once the above is complete, I think 100% TM should be removed in order to take full advantage of the transmission mods. By doing this the engine will now be able to put the advtertised 295 HP and 330 ft-lbs of torque to the transmission. Another thing that I think should be done while removing the TM is programming the computer to control a set of electric fans. A clutch fan creates a significant amount of parasitic loss and if you live where I live (Mass) you dont need a fan on all the time in the cooler months. An electric fan setup will free up some decent power and will more than likely cool better than a clutch fan setup. One hurdle that may need to be addressed is that I dont know if anyone who reprograms factory pcms would be willing to just do these 2 things for a fair price. I wouldnt want any performance tune done to the pcm so I could test my theory completely. Not necessarily at the track or on the dyno but real world testing of SOTP driving as well as MPG. I know the factory tune on these truck engines is what is holding these engines back but a good part of it has to do with the transmission TM. OhhhhK, enough my rambling. I hope to have this done as my first 2 modifications and I will be sure to get back to posting with some results, good or bad. Thanks for listening!

lm7 09-23-2004 01:43 PM

hey when you were a baby did they call you "Baby Cakes"?

.....welcome!

MacADaYear 09-23-2004 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by lm7
hey when you were a baby did they call you "Baby Cakes"?

.....welcome!

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! HES BACK!!!

j/k

Welcome Cakes =)