PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   New guy here... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/new-guy-here-216962/)

Cakes 09-16-2004 07:56 PM

New guy here...

Just wanted to introuduce myself to the community. I have had my 2004 Silverado LS 4x4 RC/SB for about a week now and I love it. Truck is dark gray metallic with dark charcoal interior. Has the 5.3 with 4L60, HD trailering package and 4.10 posi. I have been into performance cars all my life and this is my first "non-performance" vehicle. I still own a 1986 Buick Grand National so I am sure I may have some knowledge for the people running aftermarket turbo kits on their trucks. I do have some plans for the truck. Nothing major to start but just something to make the truck a little more enjoyable.

I do have a few questions.....does anyone know about how long the engine takes to break in? I have heard many people stating that the computer will keep backing the ignition timing until proper "hours" have been completed. Is this true? Also another question I have is about the 4L60...I know this transmission may not be the best or strongest in the game but I do know that with some "maintenence" (i.e. proper shift kit, servo etc) that it can be made to last with some additional engine modifications. I have been considering this as one of my first possible mods? Would it be benefitial to get this stuff done early so I dont have that many miles on the truck? Lastly....could anyone give me a educated guess on what the truck would run in the 1/4 as it sits? And yes I have been down the track a few times with my Grand National

Thanks!

hink9 09-16-2004 08:50 PM

supposedly break in period os like 500 miles, but i didnt pay attention to that, never had a problem, if i were you i wouldnt worry about the 60 for a while, theyre great transmission for what they were designed to do, when you start making some power then worry about building it, most people around here will tell you they suck but ive seen 700 rwhp vettes and f-bods using them, there is many many links on tranny reineforments along with 80e swaps, try to use the search function, it will be benificial to you, since most of the basic things are already covered, time and time again, im not sure what it would run, probablly high to mid 16, one of the best mods i ver did was a stall converter, these trucks respond to those well, tuning is very restrictive for them also. things like torque management and tuning enhancements can really make it more enjoyable to drive :)

Breeze 09-16-2004 09:06 PM

I couldnt have said it better well done

greentahoe 09-16-2004 10:36 PM

I would start out with a Transgo shiftkit at least some vette servos and as big of a tranny cooler as you can find. Careful, it becomes an addiction.
Welcome to the site.

XLR8NSS 09-22-2004 06:18 PM

Welcome to the site Cakes!!! :D

Snake Eater 09-22-2004 06:23 PM

I dont think he's here anymore. lol

hink9 09-22-2004 06:56 PM

he bailed, lol. later cakes

XLR8NSS 09-22-2004 06:57 PM

WHAT? :eek2:

5.3 racer16 09-22-2004 07:22 PM

you think hes coming back?

Cakes 09-22-2004 08:03 PM