Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust - Hooker LTs, Magnaflow Mufflers, All Mandrel Bends, PICS (56k suffer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New Exhaust - Hooker LTs, Magnaflow Mufflers, All Mandrel Bends, PICS (56k suffer)

Well I have been wanting to redo my exhaust for sometime now. I after alot of research I decided on Hooker 1 5/8 LTs since I did not think the MIGHTY 4.8 needed 1 3/4. Luckily some came up in the Classifieds. I bought some 2.5 mandrel J-bends and 3.0 mandrel U-bends, 5" X 14" 3"Round Magnaflow, 5"X18" 3" Oval Magnaflow, Magnalfow 2.5->3.0 Y-pipe, and some collector rings.... The entire exhaust is flanged at the headers, after the Y-pipe and after the mufflers, this way I can remove it easily. I wanted the exhaust to be quiet I am really tired of my old setup. Now it is barely noticeable at idle and anything below 3/4 throttle it is quiet, just a slight hmmmmmmmm noise. But at WOT it still has a really good tone.

My previous setup was semi true dual, stock manifolds, cats, cut the Y junction off and ran 2 pipes into a dual in/dual out magnaflow. After install it I noticed my low end dropped, not to mention it was really loud and annoying. With the new setup the lowend has returned, I have not really done any WOT runs cause it is wet and the tune is way off. My AFR is really lean, so I was taking it easy, sometime this week I will retune it.

It took about 14 hours start to finish to remove the old system and install and build the new system. I only managed to catch myself on fire twice, so that was a good thing, however I did drop a cherry into my armpit that rather hurts.....

Anyways here are the pics.

All the parts gathered up. I cut up all the bends into 45*s and 90*s.

Headers Installed

Y-pipe 2.5 into 3.0

Mufflers Wideband installed after the Y

Tail pipe I might shorten it a little bit so it does not stick out so much

Entire System

Here is the rather crappy vid, I will try to get a better one up soon.. The video sounds kinda raspy, but it is not, it is just the way the video turned out.....
Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice. I'd like to hear it with just the round magnaflow, that's kinda what i was looking at doing if I don't get a corsa
Old 11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always wanted to have enough time to build an exhaust like that!!!

that looks nice man!!!!

And sounds good too!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
very nice. I'd like to hear it with just the round magnaflow, that's kinda what i was looking at doing if I don't get a corsa
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive always wanted to have enough time to build an exhaust like that!!!

that looks nice man!!!!

And sounds good too!!!
Thanks for the compliments. I really wanted to grind down and smooth all the welds then paint it but I was just tooo damn tired. Maybe over my Christmas break I will do it..
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good. I know something like that takes time and patience. How much weight did all that add?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by dlt76028
looks good. I know something like that takes time and patience. How much weight did all that add?
I have no clue as far as weight, but all the bends and pipe are 16 gauge, so it weighs a little bit more, but I don't think it weighs that much since I was able to move it around in pieces fairly easily, but a guess would be 20-30 pounds more than my previous setup, most of the weight would be the mufflers...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you order the round mag online?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
did you order the round mag online?
Yep I got it on Ebay, I paid $77. It is stainless that is why it cost a little bit more, but only make that size in stainless..

Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220164544405
Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet, that's the one I was lookin at. 77 bux isn't bad at all.
How's that AEM w/b? You got it mounted in a gauge pod?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Resident Retard

I lke the AEM WB, it seems to work fairly well. the readings are more stable now that I mounted it after the Y-pipe. I have it mounted in a Autometer single gauge pod. The fit of the pod itself is kinda crappy, since it mounts to the existing pillar, but I am waiting to order a dual gauge pod when I decide which other gauge I am going to buy. I am thinking about getting a Interceptor Scan gauge.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust - Hooker LTs, Magnaflow Mufflers, All Mandrel Bends, PICS (56k suffer)