Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson Tune Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Tune Guys!

Well, Im almost sold on getting a Nelson tune my next pay check I searched it out and just soooooo many topic on him. I got a few questions though, Would just an intake tube from Airraid, K&N Panel Filter, and a cutout be considered something tuneable? And If I did get his tune...for those 4.8 guys out there, did yall see a big difference once the tune was in full swing? Im not wanting to spend 450 buck on 10 hp now lol. Id like to get my RCSB 4.8 into the mid 15's. Im sure itll go atleast a 16 Flat. Just the weather hasnt been to great ere in Midland Tx lol. But yea, really worried and him messing up and the PCM throwing a code on me and having something mess up. But as far as you 4.8 guys...how did it feel afterwards? and If you ran at the track how much did it take off your time? Prolly later on I will be going to get an Outlaw or K&N Intake system and efans, but right now I jsut want a tune. So any comments and/or answer or opinions on yalls tune...or any advice on my questions above lemme know wats up!!! want everyone opinions before I go and spend alot of money! Thx alot guys

Ty
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

A totally stock engine is tunable. Mods such as intake, exhaust, headers, cam, stall, etc... will enhance the tune.
I am getting my truck dyno tuned by Nelson P in the next few weeks and all I have is intake and exhaust.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

intake and exhaust is definately tunable. im in a 5.3 but here were my results.

back in april i ran a 9.83 on the 1/8 at full street weight. it was about 70* outside and i had a 87 hypertech tune, so thats already better than no tune.

last may i went again after my nelson tune and ran again. at full weight same everything, i ran 9.75. not that big of a difference BUT It was about 90* outside and i only had 100 miles on the tune....it wasnt until about 400 miles (3 days ago) when i finally got the "whoa" feeling. on a road i could normally only get a 1' peel out on i stopped for a test. i mashed it and lit em' up this time. it put a huge grin on my face
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

78' Silverado - hey man if you are down around big lake shoot me a PM and i will give you a ride in my truck, and if its after this weekend i will even let you push the little go baby go button

also i might be there this weeked and i will give you a hall also we are racing in wall this weekend 1/4 i hope to be spraying the hole way down the 1320
Old 06-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it man you will love it I would do the tune as my first mod if I started all over again. Extra mods is just going to make you gain more hp. You should gain in the mid 20's in the hp I would think. Its not just the hp that he gives he extends your shift points he takes some torque management off so your tranny shifts better and harder and he raises lines pressure so it shifts harder too. You wont be dissapointed just give it about 400 miles to set in and watch out.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Yea I knew exhuast and intake stufff was all tuneable but I just figured small stuff like a lil tube and just a simple cutout could net me anything worth while in hp lol. How much did yalls cost yall? I beleive its gunna be around 450 right? Im really excited!! Cnat wait to get this mod goin. Thx for all the info guys
Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that sounds about right. I got mine for 300 but that was becaus ehe came down to houston and tuned a few trucks at the same time so it was cheaper but even at 450 I would gladly pay it for the results I got.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jow02327
78' Silverado - hey man if you are down around big lake shoot me a PM and i will give you a ride in my truck, and if its after this weekend i will even let you push the little go baby go button

also i might be there this weeked and i will give you a hall also we are racing in wall this weekend 1/4 i hope to be spraying the hole way down the 1320

Heck yea man, I got a Ranch down in Big Lake I mgiht just drive into town and shoot you a pm Thx alot.

Im trying to get a hold on Alan at his shop but no luck...and my outlook is down so lol. Hopfully I can get a hold of him sometime soon. I think its 490 for my tune =/..YIKES! Why is it more expensive for my year and not the 99-00 ones and stuff.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Some folks Claim 25 to 35 RWHP.

I had my 03 Nelson 93 octane tuned and it ran much better. At first I wondered then two of my work buddys, one with a 2002 and the other with a 2003, all of us were ECSB Z71s' with 3.73 gears, try and jump on me on the way home from work. I could not believe how much I pulled on them. Nor could they.
They changed their tune at the break room table from "That's a bunch of BS!", "Your waisting your money on that crap!" To, where did you get that tune? How much does it cost?
What it does other than, or in order to, free up HP is let it hold power through the shift. Without the tune the motor drops in the RPM range horribly after a shift having to struggle back up the RPM lader again.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Get it man you will love it I would do the tune as my first mod if I started all over again. Extra mods is just going to make you gain more hp. You should gain in the mid 20's in the hp I would think. Its not just the hp that he gives he extends your shift points he takes some torque management off so your tranny shifts better and harder and he raises lines pressure so it shifts harder too. You wont be dissapointed just give it about 400 miles to set in and watch out.
Like 1slowo1Z71 said you will love the Nelsons tune. I know I love mine. The more mods you have the more gain you will get out of it. Plus raising the shift points etc...

Quick Reply: Nelson Tune Guys!