Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Need of some speedy cam assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Need of some speedy cam assistance?

Hey guys, I'm mid way thru my cam swap and I just started to do the springs on my 2000 6.0L and took my stem seal off. On ls1howto.com, it shows to take a pen magnet to take the stock seat off and that isn't happening. I popped one of my new dual spring seats on the stock seat and it fits nice but the outside edges aren't down all the way against the head. Are the stock ones supposed to come off? Or am I supposed to just put the new seat on top of the old? I tried to gently pull up on the old seat and it isn't coming. Let me know what you think ASAP. Thanks. Tim

Last edited by timmer1; 05-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

does anybody know what I have to remove and how to make the new seats sit flush with the head?

It almost looks like the stock seat is machined into the heads.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old valve stem seals pull off with a pliers and you have to twist and pull. Once off, the new ones tap on with a plastic socket looking tool so you don't marr the valve stem. You can use a socket but be careful. You could try for a million years and those seals would never be coming off with a pen magnet The pen magnets in the pictures you see are for holding the lifters up
Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Launching!

This is from the ls1howto.com: If you have a 2000 or earlier, the oil seal will be a small black or brown thimble shaped thing, and you can now remove the stock spring seat (using a pen magnet is easiest to pick it up).

After I take that valvestem seal off, I still have to take the stock seat out right? Any Ideas on how to get that out? I didn't really want to ruin anything by rippin on it with a pair of pliers. I grabbed it with pliers and pulled a little, but nothing budged.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Launching!

Hopefully I can get this figured out by morning.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well what yr is ur motor? I know ur trucks a 00 but did it come with a 6.0?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Launching!

it didn't come with it, but it is also a 2000
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Launching!

pics of problem added
Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing left in the pic is the top of the valve guide. if you pull it off you are going to need head work. the seat should fit over the guide and sit on top of that shiny spot on the head. the stock valve stem seal have the seat made onto them.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Truckshop
the only thing left in the pic is the top of the valve guide. if you pull it off you are going to need head work. the seat should fit over the guide and sit on top of that shiny spot on the head. the stock valve stem seal have the seat made onto them.
if I were to put the seat over what is on there, the seat would sit a quarter inch off from the heads. In the ls1howto instructions, it says the new seat must fit flush with the heads. I found out yesterday that the stock seat on cast iron heads are machined right in, most likely forcing me to use single spring instead of dual spring. On aluminum heads, the stock seat is removable.

So, I either have to swap to single springs or to aluminum heads. I don't have the money to go to aluminum heads, unless there's someone out there giving them away. I'll be swapping these springs to singles on monday.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Quick Reply: In Need of some speedy cam assistance?