Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need some HP HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some HP HELP!!!

I'm new to this site, but was told to check here for help with squeezing some ponies out of my truck. It's an '04 GMC ext-cab 1500 with a 6.0 HO engine. It's basically an SS without the AWD. Only have about 400 miles on it...but it's already been stock tooooooo long, time for some changes. I've put on a Volant intake and a dual in/out FlowPro exhaust. Wanting to get as much HP as I can, without going to forced induction. I thought about long-tube headers, a 2500 rpm stall converter, cam(don't know which or what brand), Nelson Tune, underdrive pulleys. Not sure what else, and I'm not much of a gear-head so anything more than bolt on I'll have to get someone to do for me. Any info or comments will be appreciated.

Also, I don't want to kill my mileage but if there is any way to increase mileage and HP I'd take that too.
And what is a servo, what does it do? Would it help me to get one? What about a shift kit?

Thanks,
Caylon
Old 10-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

*BUMP*
Come on guys, someone has to have some input???
Old 10-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

wow. long tube headers will do a bit of hp gain. a nelson tune will yield quite abit as well. what kind of idle do you want and what rpm range do you want the cam to be in. drag truck or streetable truck.underdrive pullies help.i think the favorite stall is the tt3000 or a vig 3000
Old 10-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02denali
wow. long tube headers will do a bit of hp gain. a nelson tune will yield quite abit as well. what kind of idle do you want and what rpm range do you want the cam to be in. drag truck or streetable truck.underdrive pullies help.i think the favorite stall is the tt3000 or a vig 3000
I want the cam to increase hp/tq in the higher rpms, not sure about the idle. The truck is my daily driver, but will also be my "weekend-warrior".

Would a shift kit or servo help?

Thanks,
Caylon
Old 10-16-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crazy
I want the cam to increase hp/tq in the higher rpms, not sure about the idle. The truck is my daily driver, but will also be my "weekend-warrior".

Would a shift kit or servo help?

Thanks,
Caylon
Shift kit is always good as is a bigger tranny cooler. Check out the cam marc w is using, seems that would fit your needs pretty well. With the cam you will definately need a good tune as well. If you are going through the hassle and price of buying and installing a converter, I would get at least a 3000 or 3200. I personally prefer PI Vigilante converters.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crazy
I'm new to this site, but was told to check here for help with squeezing some ponies out of my truck. It's an '04 GMC ext-cab 1500 with a 6.0 HO engine. It's basically an SS without the AWD. Only have about 400 miles on it...but it's already been stock tooooooo long, time for some changes. I've put on a Volant intake and a dual in/out FlowPro exhaust. Wanting to get as much HP as I can, without going to forced induction. I thought about long-tube headers, a 2500 rpm stall converter, cam(don't know which or what brand), Nelson Tune, underdrive pulleys. Not sure what else, and I'm not much of a gear-head so anything more than bolt on I'll have to get someone to do for me. Any info or comments will be appreciated.

Also, I don't want to kill my mileage but if there is any way to increase mileage and HP I'd take that too.
And what is a servo, what does it do? Would it help me to get one? What about a shift kit?

Thanks,
Caylon
what is your budget?? Lets start there
Old 10-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superchargedchevy02
what is your budget?? Lets start there
Right now I have about $3000 to start with.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

A cam will really make that 6.0L come alive, the size will depend on how much low end you are willing to lose. I recommend getting a stall, and tuning of some kind, I highly recommend HPtuners.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I can't get enough of my Yank TT3000 converter! It really woke my truck up, knocking almost a half of a second off of my ET! I recomend one of them to start...and some kind of tune or tuning device. I would also probrobally pick the HP tuners if I were to do it over again, and I'll probrobally be selling my Hypertech soon to get HP tuners myself. I chose a Comp Cams 212/218 558/563 cam for my 6.0L, although since it is still sitting on the stand I really can't comment on that! Hang around here long enough and you'll have it all figured out for yourself. Welcome to the gang!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

*bump*