Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help!!! Header bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys I really think im screwed here. It's flush with the head so we tried to use a screw extractor, but it just wont come out. This thing is becoming a bitch. The hole is real close to the threads. I think if I keep messing with it that it is going to end up ruining the threads. I may just have to pull the heads. How hard is pulling the heads? Will a machine shop be able to fix all this?

Oh yea, I was noticing today that I have another bolt broke, but it was like that before I even touched the truck. It is the drivers side ALL the way against the firewall.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smiths_3
Well guys I really think im screwed here. It's flush with the head so we tried to use a screw extractor, but it just wont come out. This thing is becoming a bitch. The hole is real close to the threads. I think if I keep messing with it that it is going to end up ruining the threads. I may just have to pull the heads. How hard is pulling the heads? Will a machine shop be able to fix all this?

Oh yea, I was noticing today that I have another bolt broke, but it was like that before I even touched the truck. It is the drivers side ALL the way against the firewall.
Im assuming you drilled the bolt and tried to use and extractor, I hope you drilled a small hole and tapped in the extractor then stick some grips on it and turn. If that didnt work the ******* really in there and I dont think left handed drill bits would work but its worth a shot. I would try everything, call a machinist and see what they say. At this point if youve drilled the bolt and the hole is off center your so far down that road Id stick the extractor in. Even if you mess up the threads you can buy a tap from autozone for like 10 bucks and retap. If your going to a machine shop they can fix fucked up thread and pull the remaining bolt out. But I would use that as a last resort.
the only way you can really mess up is if you drilled that whole crooked and went way into the head which it doesnt sound like you did.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

If you pull the heads you will be able to get them out with a easy-out. If you have the headers already off then pull the intake then the heads. Make sure you get new head bolts, the factory are TTY bolts. They are only good for one use.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

My dad has been working on it for a while. There is not much bolt left and he thinks he reached the end of it. He said the threads were still good, but that freakin bolt wont come out. I started reading on pulling the heads and I dont think i can do it. I have never done anything like that, and I'm sure the dealer would rape me to have it done. Any more ideas?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

tack weld a smaller bolt on top of it, and then wrench it out?

Edit: Near firewall, passenger side... goodluck.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

the passenger side near firewall one is a bitch hopefully you have some bolt sticking out of that one. I would try drilling a very small hole and get the smallest ezout I did that with mine but had to re tap and helicoil it. Anyway tha back one near the firewall we had to take the trans and motor off the mounts and slide it a few inches forward then used a 90 angle close quarter drill to get to it from the fenderwell. Not an easy job at all. the drill wouldnt clear the ac if we didnt take everything off the mounts. My boy actuallly did most of the work I just helped with the reassembly. but it still sucked.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Ok I talked to a mechanic today. He told me that pulling the heads is way too much work for a broken bolt. He said just drill the remaining bolt out smooth and re-tap. I think I am going to try to use a reemer to straighten the bolt out because the hole is a little off center and use a drill to smooth the hole, but I am not going to go that far in just because I don't want to go through the head. Then I am going to use a shorter bolt. YOu guys think this will work? It seems like the best thing to do here, or swap a 6.0 in there
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I would worry about taking too much material out, call a machinist if you have to trailer it to his shop or see if hell make a house call.
just a thought
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Smith
Did anyone you talk to mention a heli coil install?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Yea I had someone mention it the other day. But any way, I just used a 5/16 drill bit and drilled the screw out along with the threads. Then I tapped it with a 3/8 tap. I made sure not to go all the way to the back of the head but anyways it looks real good. Im just gonna use a grade 8 3/8 bolt i picked from a hardware store. I'm just glad I got done with it.

By the way, I ran the stock exhaust manifold bolts through the other holes and they seem like they are gonna bottom out before they hit the header. Im just gonna throw on some lock washers to bring em back a little. I'm guessing this is how I broke the other one off.

Alright now another question. There was a previous bolt broke on the driver's side against the firewall. (A real bitch to get to). Well I had all the headers on and didn't notice it. I started it up and it didn't leak where the bolt was missing. Will it begin to leak in the future? I really don't want to touch it if it is not leaking.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! Header bolt broke