Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Flexalite VSC help!! Fans won't activate w/thermo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Flexalite VSC help!! Fans won't activate w/thermo!

I just finished wiring my LS1 fans with Flex-a-lites VSc to control them and have ran into a problem. I can get my fans to operate properly from the A/C Compressor but they won't come on otherwise! I have checked the thermo-sensor to make sure it's installed correctly and the wiring to make sure it has contact, and I still have nothing! The Temp. adjustment screw, in the center of the unit, has some indicator marks, but no temps. Where do you guys have yours set at? I've rotated mine to every point and let it sit for a few minutes and they still didn't activate! WTF could I be doing wrong? Couls I have a bad temp sensor or VSC? I'd lean more towards the temp sensor or I don't have my temp. set right on the VSC. I haven't hooked up my full on override switch yet, but it looks like I'm gonna have to unless someone has some good advice!!

Thanks for the help!

Ryan
Old 02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Launching!

You should be able to get the fans to activate by turning the adjustment screw while the engine is running and you can feel the heat in the upper radiator hose. Maybe you didn't wait til the thermostat opened before you tried to set this? I know mine was a trial and error process until I found a setting that I was happy with, but I never had any problems getting the unit to activate the fans when I tweaked it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never ran the VCS, but I could bet that the adjustment screw you mentioned is the problem. There is a setting there that has to be perfect before it will kick on the fans. I have heard of a few people having problem with the VCS so the dial might be broken or something.

With the Diablo Predator are you able to get a custom program to set the blue pin #42 in your PCM to turn your fans on like you can with an Edit? This so much more easier and less of a worry than the VCS. I just finished wiring my fans up with the blue pin #42 with my Edit and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the predator can do that, I have a tune coming but it won't be here until th ened of the week. I'm thinking either 1> that adjustment screw is really touchy or 2> it's messed up or the thermo is messed. The thermostat was open becasue the upper hose was flaming hot. That's when the VSC says to adjust the screw until the fans come on, and I get nothing!! I guess I'll contact them tomorrow if I can't figure it out!

Ryan
Old 02-16-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have mine turned all the way down, like your screwing a screw in. It will hold the temp at about 180. Do you have the thermo sensor plugged in the right terminals? I think it's the ones all the way to the left if you have it sitting terminal side up, with the main terminals to the top.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I finally got mine to work this evening, it was blowing the 20a fuse, so i put in the thirty and started screwing the screw in. Apparently, when I was messing with it, I was screwing it out and had it way too far. Hell, the directions don't tell you which way to turn it or anything so I figured when you got back around to 12 o'clock it was back at the lowest temp!!! Go figure! ANyway, I pulled my thermosensor back into the radiator some more so it wasn't sticking out so far in the front and starting "screwing" LMAO and I'm getting it dialed in, now for the fine tuning!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those instructions do blow ... glad to hear you got it all straightened out.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks flyer!
But mine doesn't screw in and tighten up like your does, you can turn it all day and it won't tighten, it reset when you get to a certain point because if the fans are on you can hear/feel them slow down..turn off.speed up and then go back to full power when you make a complete 360 turn with the screw!! Maybe they changed them but I sure wish mine was like yours as I can only get my temp down to 205 and it's 40 degrees out!!! AAAGHHH Guess I'm gonna have to get a 160 stat.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Call them and tell them about it then. It's a pots resistor so it should have a bump stop. I've had 2, and they both did. Tell them you can't get them to come on at anything less than 205, maybe tell them you were measuring it with your laser thermometer and you could only get them to come on at 205. if ya know what I mean .......
Old 02-18-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotcha, I'll screw the hell out of it another time or two and then give them a shout tomorrow!

Thansk bro!!!

Quick Reply: Need Flexalite VSC help!! Fans won't activate w/thermo!