Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My Nelson fan harness is eating relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
The 05 fans can draw up to 75 amps of power. I have put a DC shunt and from one fan on low and kicking the A/C on then both fans on high it drew 75 amps. The Nelson harness is fully capable of supporting this(not for a constant high amperage). After the initial start up the amperage levels off to around 7-8 amps both on high.

I have the Nelson harness with the 05 Fans. I know this may sound odd but you may have too much amperage in your system for the relays. I have the stock 105a alt and can only make a small amount of amperage, where as you have a high capacity to put out amperage, hence you can put the full power to the fans to turn them on where i cant possibly over amp the relays, you can. this may be the problem. Not sure tho.

Does this make sense?
I see where you are headed with this and understand it.....but....the battery will make up the difference that the alternator can't supply. It just won't do it at 14 volts if the alternator isn't charging. It will do it at 12-12.5.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
High on diesel fumes

Someone in this thread suggested putting a capacitor inline with the fan harness power lead, seems like it might be a great idea....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo....php?p=3395793

One of you guys will have to try it though, I'm getting ready to dump the e-fans and go back to a clutch fan to see if I can fix my overheating problems.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Im suprised no one even mentioned it yet. I would lean to the fans pulling too much current. As an electric motor starts getting weaker/going out, they usually draw more current. have you tried an Amp meter in series with the fans to see what kind of current they are drawing?

I use the BOSH relays in my harnesses, but I doubt thats the problem if you have had more than one type burn up.

Also I highly doubt the fans are causing the cooling problems. Everyone I know of has had as good/better cooling.

Did you get the fans new, or are they used? Have you ever had your radiator rodded out? Im sure you have checked the coolant level, also water pumps dont always **** before they go out, but they usually do. Are you still using Dex cool, or something else? Have you tried swapping thermostats again, maybe the one you have in there is sticking a little. You wouldnt necessarly notice normal driving, but when youre towing in stop and go traffic your engine would heat up quicker. I doubt your fan settings being the problem, as long as they are on they are flowing air through the radiator. Your temps may be higher, but you would notice it all the time not just when towning. I know you have had cooling problems for a while, so Im sure you double checked that both fans are PULLING air form the outside, not pushint it throught the radiator (meaning they are spinning the correct way)

Good luck on figuring it out
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Damn Im suprised no one even mentioned it yet. I would lean to the fans pulling too much current. As an electric motor starts getting weaker/going out, they usually draw more current. have you tried an Amp meter
I put a shunt(ammeter) on the fans and I got 75Amps with one fan on low, the other off, and them both getting kicked onto high(AC on). This is how they will be on start up, this is normal.

How far does the voltage drop on the fans starting up?
What is the resistance of the windings on the fans? I can measure mine for you or maybe someone can do it before 4pm tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
I put a shunt(ammeter) on the fans and I got 75Amps with one fan on low, the other off, and them both getting kicked onto high(AC on). This is how they will be on start up, this is normal.

How far does the voltage drop on the fans starting up?
What is the resistance of the windings on the fans? I can measure mine for you or maybe someone can do it before 4pm tomorrow.

But what are HIS drawing? If one of the motors is going out it could be drawing too much current.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think the more the fans kick on and off, the more likely you are at experiencing problems. Being an electronics tech, I know that the longer that equipment stays on uninterruptable power the less likely it is to go down for failed parts. Not only that, but it's a strain on your electrical system when the fans come on.

I leave my fans on a setting that once they reach the temp for coming on, the only way they are going to cut off is me turning the truck off. For me that has been the best all around setting for the Summer time. I have only had mine for about 15k miles though, but no problems yet. I also run the Nelson harness.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
there has to be a better way to do that.
I've thought about this too, (I've also had overheating problems with a set of LS1 fans).
There are two fan control pins for the 02 ECM (thread link) Once I get my larger rad I'm going to try and wire up a new harness using both pins and setting in the ECM.
Any thoughts??

Thunder550 Didn't your truck come with the smaller rad from the factory? And did you install a oil cooler with the LQ9?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

is there a way to slowly ramp the power given to the fans? i had the flex-a-lite vsc before and it had a "soft turn on" feature. i never noticed any hits to the electrical system. the vsc was a POS though...after i got the nelson harness i started to notice the lights flickerin when they come on. also i dont see the need for the one fan on the ac switch to be on high. i also dont see a need for the fan on the AC to be on while your driving down the road...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by BenKey
Personally I think the more the fans kick on and off, the more likely you are at experiencing problems. Being an electronics tech, I know that the longer that equipment stays on uninterruptable power the less likely it is to go down for failed parts. Not only that, but it's a strain on your electrical system when the fans come on.
If you are using the a/c as a trigger the fans will always cycle with the a/c clutch.

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Thunder550 Didn't your truck come with the smaller rad from the factory? And did you install a oil cooler with the LQ9?
Yes, I swapped to a 34" radiator when I did the swap. I didn't start using the oil cooler until the 6.0 went in, and I was having overheating probs with the 5.3 before then as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
also i dont see the need for the one fan on the ac switch to be on high. i also dont see a need for the fan on the AC to be on while your driving down the road...

The evaporator in the A/C system needs air flow, otherwise the A/C system will create too much head pressure and the A/C will not cool as it should.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 07-19-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: My Nelson fan harness is eating relays