Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My Impressions on Vig 2800

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
to pull this off you need to have some scanning or logging ability. you don't want to go too low into your range, but i like to start at around 1200 or so and up to a few hundred past what the converter is stalling at currently. begin by adding in timing only first 1º at a time. for example in your turbo truck if you're flat footed at 2300 and have no KR* there, add a degree of timing to it. if you still have no KR* there add another, as you begin adding timing though you'll find the stall will be slowly getting higher. keep an eye on the a/f. if you don't have a wideband to watch this with simply watch the standard 02 readings. once you do begin to see KR* you want to find what rpm it comes in at and up the VE in that area by 1-2%. this will simply tell you (if you don't have a wideband) if you are seeing KR* do to a lean a/f ratio. withing going to heavily into this after installing a higher stall as you have both done you want to spend a pretty good amount of time working on the timing in the tables from around 3k and down. someone with plenty of experience can get it roughed in after a few tries. if you aren't very familier with programming and are trying it yourself you'll find that with very small steps in the spark and fuel tables you can gain a considerable amount of torque at the lower end of the powerband often raising the stall speed a noticable amount.
Great info Zippy! I'll talk to Xtreme about this today. I'm planning on dropping it off tomorrow for more Tuning so hopefully this can be worked up a bit. I'm just shocked at how low the brake stall is on a 600hp truck that's supposed to be a 3000 Stall....
Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

I spoke with PI, they said to send it back and they'd redo it. Again, problem being $500 to uninstall, $50 to ship, $50 to ship back, $500 to reinstall, all because it wasn't made to my specs.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weedo
I spoke with PI, they said to send it back and they'd redo it. Again, problem being $500 to uninstall, $50 to ship, $50 to ship back, $500 to reinstall, all because it wasn't made to my specs.
Those are insane laber cost and shipping cost.
Zippy, I have not done any tuning for the stall. I will look into it once I am out for vac.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

to pull this off you need to have some scanning or logging ability. you don't want to go too low into your range, but i like to start at around 1200 or so and up to a few hundred past what the converter is stalling at currently. begin by adding in timing only first 1º at a time. for example in your turbo truck if you're flat footed at 2300 and have no KR* there, add a degree of timing to it. if you still have no KR* there add another, as you begin adding timing though you'll find the stall will be slowly getting higher. keep an eye on the a/f. if you don't have a wideband to watch this with simply watch the standard 02 readings. once you do begin to see KR* you want to find what rpm it comes in at and up the VE in that area by 1-2%. this will simply tell you (if you don't have a wideband) if you are seeing KR* do to a lean a/f ratio. withing going to heavily into this after installing a higher stall as you have both done you want to spend a pretty good amount of time working on the timing in the tables from around 3k and down. someone with plenty of experience can get it roughed in after a few tries. if you aren't very familier with programming and are trying it yourself you'll find that with very small steps in the spark and fuel tables you can gain a considerable amount of torque at the lower end of the powerband often raising the stall speed a noticable amount.

good info zippy
Old 05-11-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Those are insane laber cost and shipping cost.
Zippy, I have not done any tuning for the stall. I will look into it once I am out for vac.

i can't say it's the fix for a converter that doesn't stall correctly, but i think you'll be quite impressed with the results of tuning your truck for the stall.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Zippy has some great points on tuning there. we put a L35 converter in a 96' Sub. it flashes to about 3100. So from 1200-3200 I added 2 degrees of timign and changed the VE in various spots. I went from not spinin a tire with the converter to ripin it off.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

that's a great example. the stock 03' blazer the dp tuned at the track last week achieved a 2.1 60' with a stock 3.42 open rear mostly due to just having extra timing in the right places.

here is some info from a tb converter we installed.

tb converter
Old 05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

that's a great example. the stock 03' blazer the dp tuned at the track last week achieved a 2.1 60' with a stock 3.42 open rear mostly due to just having extra timing in the right places.

here is some info from a tb converter we installed.

tb converter
I thought about going with the TB Converter, but was told it would break-stall at around 2500rpms. That's not enough for my truck so I went with the custom PI-Vig, supposedly to brake-stall at 3000rpm. I'm sure PI won't pay for Xtreme's labor to redo it even though I believe it's PI's fault I didn't get the correct Converter. Maybe I'll just have it tuned to hopefully raise it up some and deal with it. I certainly wouldn't have paid the extra money for the PI to end up with less of a brake-stall than a TB though....
Old 05-11-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

i certainly would have went with the vigilante in your case also. it sounds as if PI were assuming your truck was making more boost down low than it is. once you get it tuned it'll be better, but down the road you'll still want to have it restalled.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

i certainly would have went with the vigilante in your case also. it sounds as if PI were assuming your truck was making more boost down low than it is. once you get it tuned it'll be better, but down the road you'll still want to have it restalled.
Yep, good point, they may have just assumed where the power was rather than looking into the dyno graph further.

You won't even believe this. Call it luck I guess...... My 3 day old built 4L65 took a dump today. Specifically, 1st gear went out. All other gears work fine including reverse. I hadn't thought about this since I was so pissed off, but the Trans is under warranty, and since it's coming out, they can have the PI sent back and restalled! I couldn't have planned it better if I tried! My only concern now is.....why would a 3 day old Trans blow first gear? I just hope it was a "defective" part. I'm starting to think I need a 3rd car for when mines in the shop.....

Quick Reply: My Impressions on Vig 2800