Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine won't stay at a steady speed. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine won't stay at a steady speed. Please help!

My truck starts and idles fine. When I first take off everything feels great. When I get to 4th gear and want to stay at a certain speed the engine bogs out / slows down unless i give it some more gas. Then its choppy unless I really get on it until I turn it off and let it sit for a minute. Then the process starts all over again. Once it gets choppy like that it backfires and what not as well. Does this sound familar to anyone? What should I check?

It appears to be getting fuel pressure. When its idleing and I rev it enough until it starts boggin out the fuel stays right at 58psi. Its basically doesnt move from that psi at all. I cannot see my gauge while i'm actually driving though.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved to the GM Engine and Exhaust Performance section for ya....

are there any codes stored in the computer?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

I've not yet found a scan tool. I'm going to call my local mechanic tomorrow. I'm going to look into the 02 sensors. Sounds like it may be the culprit. I appreciate all the help from all the sites. I'll get the codes and come back with the results
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just in 4th...what happens if you drop to 3rd?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

After I get to 4th it starts. Then it does it in any gear until I shut it off for a few then start it again.

I had a guy scan it for me. He said it wasnt throwing any codes up. He said the o2 sensors were working fine. I just had him scan hit while sitting on the trailer (not while driving). He also told me it stayed in open the whole time it was hooked up (about 5 minutes) He thought by my description it was running lean. He questioned my fuel rail set up but he thought that thing on the stock rails was the regulator but to my knowledge its a fuel dampener.

My current setup goes walbro 255 - pp fuel pressure regulator - fuel rail (the fuel pressure reg has a return on the bottom of it back to the tank). Does this sound right? Do I need to get a new rail set up. If I do are the pp pt# 10611 ok to run? Do I hook it up like this walbro - fuel rail in - fuel rail out to regulator - tank?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

sorry double post.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

What year is the truck/fuel rail setup? The round thing in the center of the driver's side fuel rail, with the vacuum line going to it, is the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

ok well if thats the regulator that would make alot of sense. I thought i read online it was just a dampener. He thought it was running lean and that would explain it if its only getting 58psi to the "second" regulator. That would also explain why it runs good at first but then after its under load it surges. The fuel system cant keep up. I suppose its time to get a new fuel rail.

The truck/engine is a 2001 silverado.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yep, that's definitely a regulator...if you have a fuel pressure gauge, connect it to the test port and pull the vacuum hose of of the reg and you'll be able to see the fuel pressure rise to max...
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Like Budhayes said, pull that vacuum line off and pressure should go up. also check to see if fuel is coming out of that port, could be the regulator diaphram leaking back into the intake, causing low fuel rail pressure, and extra fuel at the wrong time dumping into the intake thru that vacuum line

Quick Reply: My engine won't stay at a steady speed. Please help!