Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Moving the battery to the bed. What all do i need for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the battery to the bed. What all do i need for the track?

Hey, this track up here is IHRA and has all kinds of crazy rules i have never seen before. I want to move the battery to the rear of the bed, but i also need to be in complience with IHRA rules. Do i need a battery box or just tie downs? Do i need a battery kill switch, and if so where does it go?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Can't help your question but I've always thought of moving my battery on top of the metal peice that used to hold my spare tire. If I remember correctly it would be a perfect fit. Lose some weight up front and put it behind the rear wheels.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Hey, this track up here is IHRA and has all kinds of crazy rules i have never seen before. I want to move the battery to the rear of the bed, but i also need to be in complience with IHRA rules. Do i need a battery box or just tie downs? Do i need a battery kill switch, and if so where does it go?
No battery box is needed since it is mounted "outside" of the cab. Hold down bolts should 3/8" to be legal, but I have always used 7/16" and 1/2" all thread. Strip of 1/8" steel over the top is used to hold the battery down. BUT, a battery out in the open is UGLY. I like the aluminum battery boxes from Summit or Jegs. You can polish them up for some bling action, and to me the box is more safe and secure. But the above is the mininum you need to pass NHRA, not sure on IHRA, but should be the same for batteries.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

its under a toneu cover so i dont care about bling much. Thanks for the info, what about battery cut off switches? Do i need one?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they told me i did for my car when we went down there that time but i don't know about trucks it may be different. i'd like to know be nice to move mine too just for somemore room under the hood. hell then i could mount that ecu there. hey thats a good idea.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i found those switches in my summit mag.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

its under a toneu cover so i dont care about bling much. Thanks for the info, what about battery cut off switches? Do i need one?
When you relocate the battery, you need a cut off switch. It really depends on your track though. At Houston RAceway Park, a NHRA track, they want a cut off switch when you relocate a battery.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess i could drill a nice whole in the bumper and put it there. I wish i could get a roll pan, but i dont know how to make it hook now. Less weight i would really be hurting.

Heck, i could still roast the tires through 1st gear with a 600lb. 4 wheeler in the bed. LOL
Old 05-18-2005, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I guess i could drill a nice whole in the bumper and put it there. I wish i could get a roll pan, but i dont know how to make it hook now. Less weight i would really be hurting.

Heck, i could still roast the tires through 1st gear with a 600lb. 4 wheeler in the bed. LOL
Youcan drill the hole through the middle of your license plate, that is what I typically do on my "street" cars. Now, you CAN get pulled over by the police for this, for "defacing" of the license plate, but I have yet to have been pulled over.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

hey don't mess up that bumper were suppose to get you a roll pan and give me your chromey.

Quick Reply: Moving the battery to the bed. What all do i need for the track?