Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Manifold and throttle body help

Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold and throttle body help

So I have a 2005 silverado with the L33 5.3, its got shorty headers exhaust and a cai, im getting it dyno tuned real soon, Im wanting to upgrade my intake manifold and TB, Ive seen ALOT of people recommend the TBSS manifold which is a manifold and TB setup that I am taking into consideration, but is there anything else that is recommendable.. are the larger size TBs like the 92mm and up better than the 87mm on the tbss manifold? Or is it to big for truck? And also since my truck is a 3 bolt TB and DBW I havent seen much that is offered, ive seen alot of aftermarket TBs but all Drive by Cable, Do I need to convert over to that to run the bigger TBs?
I also have a TSP Low Lift stage 3 truck cam that Im going to install so anything recommendations for the intake setup for that and my setup now would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You need the X-link adapter to run the 87mm GEN 4 four bolt style throttle body on your truck. I'm not exactly sure which exact one you need because there is a silver blade and a gold blade and they work different.

Going to a 92mm is not required, you won't be out flowing the size you have now or the 87mm size if you went that route.

Doing this upgrade is an added cost for sure. The X-link is not cheap, plus the cost of the intake and new throttle body.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
You need the X-link adapter to run the 87mm GEN 4 four bolt style throttle body on your truck. I'm not exactly sure which exact one you need because there is a silver blade and a gold blade and they work different.

Going to a 92mm is not required, you won't be out flowing the size you have now or the 87mm size if you went that route.

Doing this upgrade is an added cost for sure. The X-link is not cheap, plus the cost of the intake and new throttle body.
So even with the cam I wont be out flowing my stock throttle body setup? The cam is 216/220 .550 112
and if not is it best to just stay with what I have? Or would running my stock TB and getting and adapter plate for the 4 bolt and usung the tbss mani be a upgrade worth the time and $$$$
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I would just run the stock TB. I run that and I make a lot of power with stock. One more thing to go wrong with xlink and its expensive. I had the xlink and FAST LSXRT on my truck and it never ran right. Can't say which it was or if it was both. But basically the engine would die anytime coming from cruising rpms to idle. I had two tuners look at it and none of the could figure it out.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

The TBSS manifold will give you more power over a wider spread, maybe even enough to be noticable. A bigger improvement would come from long tube headers. I would do both.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I would just run the stock TB. I run that and I make a lot of power with stock. One more thing to go wrong with xlink and its expensive. I had the xlink and FAST LSXRT on my truck and it never ran right. Can't say which it was or if it was both. But basically the engine would die anytime coming from cruising rpms to idle. I had two tuners look at it and none of the could figure it out.
should have had a 3rd, that’s tune related. I’ve had about every combo there is, 78mm, Gold 90, silver 90, DBW 102, DBC 105. None had that issue, that’s all in the tune.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Teching In

I feel like the stock TB with the TBSS mani is a good setup, the heads in the TBSS and my truck are the 799s so the they flow the same the only thing the tbss is a 6.0 and pushes out more air, but once I add the cam, in my mind I think it should be OK but then again thats why Im on here...
With that being said, I know the stock 5.3 mani will hold up just fine with what my setup will be at the end of the day, so would it be worth the time to swap out the manifolds, a broader power range sounds nice
Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Teching In

ALSO... has anyone else felt the lag from these TBs? Especially when down shifting to pass a vehicle on the highway? Ive heard that gm regulated the throttle up 3k rpm on some trucks, i know they did on the 2004 silverados, did they do the same with the 2005? I would really love to feel the get up and go when I get on the GAS..
Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

All that stuff is mainly calibration related. Between power enrichment settings, timing retard and torque mngt you can remove just about all those "lag".
Old 12-19-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Fwiw I put down 520rwhp on motor with a 90mm throttle body.
I have alot more motor then you, a 87mm will be just fine for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manifold and throttle body help