Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnaflow and volant

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow and volant

First of all I want to redo my exhaust and have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I either want to put 2 magnaflow's in place of my bullets and leave it duel exhaust or put on my almost new y pipe and a magnaflow catback. What do you all think would be best. Also I have been thinking about getting a volant intake system while tbyrne have them on sale. I currently have a smoked upd but it seems like everytime I take it off for something it gets another crack in the plastic. It is really hard to get on and off the throttle body. I was thinking of the volant because it is the next best looking set up. Give me your ideas on this stuff.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not baught your volant, just go with UPD. It's cheaper and will prabably get you better results.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'd go w/the y-pipe Magnaflow catback and the Volant. Only reason being, is I have a similar exhaust setup and swapped my upd for a Volant.....seems like the Volant has a bit more punch at part throttle from the 2k-4k range....but it might be all in my head. Overall the Volant is a better made peice and has a flange on the bottom of the box to adapt to an easy ram air setup.

I should mension that the main reason I switched intakes was to be able to put a NX shark nozzle in the tube, and I got my Volant for $250 shipped on ebay.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tiburon
If you have not baught your volant, just go with UPD. It's cheaper and will prabably get you better results.
I currently have the clear smoked upd and really like the intake but everytime I remove it it seems to get more cracks in it. The plastic is very brittle on the clear ones.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have a Magnaflow X-flow muffler with a true dual exhaust on mine and think it will do better than a single magnaflow. The X-flow has a built in x-pipe and sounds really good. Really makes the truck more responsive throughout the power band, especially lowend.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking since I already have duel exhaust with a magnaflow x pipe to just go ahead and get 2 magnaflow mufflers and dump them. I currently run 2 18" bullets and they are getting old, I had them dumped and it was so loud inside I couldn't stand it so I had to put tailpipes on it. But a magnaflow catback would just be so simple and the stainless would last for a long time.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

I was about to buy the UPD intake but I got to thinking and if I would have got it I wouldn't have been able to use it with my Radix. True, I don't have a Radix yet but I like to think ahead. The Volant intake will work with a Radix (Febuary 2004 truckin' mag page 89). Just thought you would like to know incase a Radix is in your future.