Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnaflow or Flowmaster 50 series exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Sound or no sound i lost .6 in the 1/8 by switching from Flo Pro to that same muffler.

Go Magnaflow, they give performance and sound. Flo only gives sound.
Well the issue with me is I wanted NO SOUND (I actually wanted to keep the stock system and be as quiet as possible), but everyone I talked to said my stock muffler was holding me back in performance with my blower. The next best thing to stock for me was the quietest performance muffler out. People steered me toward Gibson, which I installed but ultimately removed because of the terrible resonance. I put on an FM70 and all has been good since. I'd consider a Magnaflow if it was as quiet or quieter than the Flowmaster 70.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ridnlow
Ive got the Magnaflow Catback i think 15618... and i love it.. not to loud but when you get on its mean... mine is the 5X11X22 i believe..
That's the system I like. Plus, its about the same money and its totally made from stainless steel. Why someone would by an aluminized Flowmaster system for the same money is beyond me!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

The larger Magnaflow's are very quiet, flow very well, and have virtually no drone.

70 series are quiet, but dont flow much more than stock.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
70 series are quiet, but dont flow much more than stock.
Forgive my potential ignorance here, but for retaining low-end torque, isn't that what you want?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, back pressure helps with low end and kills top end. I guess if your not racing a restrictive exhaust is fine. Above 2k rpms you would start to see the gains from a less restrictive exhaust. Arent you getting a stall anyway? So you really dont need low end, you need mid range.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Forgive my potential ignorance here, but for retaining low-end torque, isn't that what you want?
From what I understand, with you and I, that thought is out the door. We do not want any backpressure anymore.

Backpressure is for ***** NA guys. Just kiddin fellas.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Which one?

So which kind of exaust is recommeded, Magnaflow or Flowmaster because I really want something that is noticeabl but not too loud just something that sounds good on the outside and not too loud and or annoying in the interior. Sort of like a mellow tone?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Egrajeda
So which kind of exaust is recommeded, Magnaflow or Flowmaster because I really want something that is noticeabl but not too loud just something that sounds good on the outside and not too loud and or annoying in the interior. Sort of like a mellow tone?
Well, that is tough to answer. From what I understand, and folks correct me if I'm wrong, the consensus is that the Magnaflow is quieter and flows better. I have seen the data from some testing that was done that looked at 15 mufflers and compared their flow rate and horsepower. There was also some data on how loud they were at (i think) idle, 2k rpm and wot. Magnaflow did quite well and Flowmaster 40s were sorta middle of the pack.

I can tell you that my Flowmaster 70 is about to come off my truck, due to in-cab resonance around 2k rpm . It does sound sweet when you mash the pedal and is hardly audible at idle. Heck, if you are close to Beaumont I can cut you a sweet deal on it!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think magnaflow is what you are looking for.. i could be wrong though..