Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 Edit help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Edit help?

I just down loaded the program off the truck and started looking at it with the latest LS1 Edit V1.3 and I've never touched a tranny program before and this thing is amazing.

Just wondering what are some of the things to look for and change. I'm sure I'll get into it a little more when I have some more time to sit and read thru it all but I was just wondering what some of you had done.

I don't have much need to get into the engine programming right now since the truck is pretty much stock save for a UPD and stat. I am looking to do the electric fans and hook that up to the PCM here soon though. After that hopefully a cam and spring swap.

Thoughts, ideas, your results?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

A few things to help the drivability are to zero out all the torque management tables, disable abuse mode, up your shift points, increase line pressure and reduce you shift timing. Here is a good page to get you started and shed some light on what all of the tables do. http://ls1edit.slowcar.net
Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking at some of the other people's post about the TQ Management it seems thats only going to result in a broken tranny soon.

What exactly is the 'Abuse Mode' also is the Tow/Haul mode whats listed as the Performance Mode in LS1Edit?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

With not too much extra power, I dont think you will have a problem especially if you set all you other parameters correctly.
Yes, the performance mode tables are for tow/haul mode. Abuse mode close cousin to TQM. The pcm will cut power if it sences abusive driving to save the driveline.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at some of the other people's post about the TQ Management it seems thats only going to result in a broken tranny soon.
Not exactlly. On a stock truck you shouldnt have a problem killing TM. If you had NOS or a blower Id probably leave TM present. I removed TM and have been running with it gone for almost a year. No problems at all and my tranny hasnt and never gets hot. If your truck is stock I wouldnt worry about drivetrain longevity. On my current flash I tweaked the shift points of course, changed a few things in the Norm Mode Shift table, Perf Mode Shift table, + Press. vs. temp table, desired shift time table, disabled upshift torque reduction, disabled abuse mode as BigKid said, and a few other things. I have tried so many different things and have a folder full of around 37 flash files I have tried on my truck. I finally found one that I like and Im sticking with it. Now its time for a TransGo and some billet servos. Tow/Haul mode is Perf Mode Shift Speed. After you get the shifts and stuff down, then you can get into VE and MAF tuning on the Dyno with a wide-band!!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet, thanks for all the help guys. This is my first time with LS1 Edit like I said, and its nothing like LT1 edit on the Camaro. I knew people said they were more involved but WOW I didn't think it would be quite that bad.

So if/when I get around to doing some head and cam work then what do you do with the TM then, just slowly start bringing it back down until it feels ok but still enough there to save the tranny til a new one is put in?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so TM is gone, speed limiter is gone, I started to work my way up on the shift points tonight but there is one thing that still is bothering me, why does it take so long to shift from 1st to 2nd???

What are you guys doing with the shift time tables?