Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 2500HD Towing Cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Highway hauler

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been VERY educational. Thanks to everyone! My question is: if starting with a new engine, would it be worth bumping up the static compression to gain more torque? I plan a custom tune after installing the engine, so that should compensate for the rediculis cylinder pressure at low RPM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike058
This has been VERY educational. Thanks to everyone! My question is: if starting with a new engine, would it be worth bumping up the static compression to gain more torque? I plan a custom tune after installing the engine, so that should compensate for the rediculis cylinder pressure at low RPM.
If you are gonna keep it NA, then bumping up the compression is always a good thing...up to a point anyway. Depends entirely on how much you want to bump it...10.5:1 is about as far as I would go with the gas I get up here in the Arctic, which is all 89 octane at every pump, If it's even that good to begin with.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats about what mine is in my sig
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Highway hauler

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, If I have this correctly, If The lift is kept in tht low 500s and the duration doesn't get over the 218 @ .050 then a person should still have a truck that could be driven every day and tow when needed, with better performance. I hate to be a pain, but with a kid in college, and another one starting next year, I probably only have one shot at this.
I read ten times more than I post so I can learn from all of you that gotten your hands dirty, and your wallets empty! Better to learn from those that do, than to make some of the same mistakes. Thanks again to everyone that had a hand in this.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

So, If I have this correctly, If The lift is kept in tht low 500s and the duration doesn't get over the 218 @ .050 then a person should still have a truck that could be driven every day and tow when needed, with better performance. I hate to be a pain, but with a kid in college, and another one starting next year, I probably only have one shot at this.
I read ten times more than I post so I can learn from all of you that gotten your hands dirty, and your wallets empty! Better to learn from those that do, than to make some of the same mistakes. Thanks again to everyone that had a hand in this.
I drive mine daily 70 miles round trip every day, I also tow with mine all the time I would go with the 551 551 cam myself, but I have a 6.0 in mine you won't be dissapointed with either cam as long as you stay with the 210 218 range. Hope this helps!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bennettracing
I drive mine daily 70 miles round trip every day, I also tow with mine all the time I would go with the 551 551 cam myself, but I have a 6.0 in mine you won't be dissapointed with either cam as long as you stay with the 210 218 range. Hope this helps!!
What springs and p rods did you get? And where at?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bennettracing
I definitely need to do this, my CCSB really puts the hurtin on my poor stock LQ4.

That and a tune should make for a very fun DD truck without breaking too much LOL
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

I had the 212/218 comp cam and loved it but the VHP cam will definitely suite your needs more. Being that your not changing much, a Hardened 7.400" pushrod and decent springs is all you'd need. If your talking about upping the compression then get a set of heads off of a newer GM truck (08+) w/the 4.8 or 5.3. The casting numbers on the heads that you would need are 243 or 799. Those and that cam, and you will love the crap out of your truck Good luck, hope you don't get bit to hard by the mod bug afterwards lol
Old 11-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
I had the 212/218 comp cam and loved it but the VHP cam will definitely suite your needs more. Being that your not changing much, a Hardened 7.400" pushrod and decent springs is all you'd need. If your talking about upping the compression then get a set of heads off of a newer GM truck (08+) w/the 4.8 or 5.3. The casting numbers on the heads that you would need are 243 or 799. Those and that cam, and you will love the crap out of your truck Good luck, hope you don't get bit to hard by the mod bug afterwards lol
+1 I agree
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

VHP 080 it is! Ordering Monday!

Quick Reply: LQ4 2500HD Towing Cam