Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Low oil pressure at idle, metal fuzz on drain plug, need advice

Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Yeah, steer clear! My wife's bone stock 2009 Tahoe dropped oil pressure too, but not to a critical level. And I only left that stuff in her Tahoe for two days before I changed the oil, but the oil pressure never returned to ~40 at idle, it's more like 30 now. And the stuff didn't slow or stop either leak

How's the '02 Tahoe treating you? Still running well?
Everything's all good, driven it all over the place, from Mississippi to Missouri. Only problem thus far was the coolant/water freezing up.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
I am guessing the stop leak caused the bypass in the oil pump to stick causing the low oil pressure. The engine may not be detrimentally hurt and you may be ok if you get the pressure back up.
I had that same thought, but the pump only has metal components (I believe). I'm going to wait for the Blackstone lab results back before tearing into it, but I'm leaning to replacing the oil pump first, then going from there.

I also ran a can of BG EPR engine flush through the engine on the first oil change after the leak seal, but no luck.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Everything's all good, driven it all over the place, from Mississippi to Missouri. Only problem thus far was the coolant/water freezing up.
Awesome! Glad she's treating you well.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try running some tranny guild to help the moving the crap out of it. Put a qt, in drive it a around for like 10mins till good and hot. Change oil
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06murder
Try running some tranny guild to help the moving the crap out of it. Put a qt, in drive it a around for like 10mins till good and hot. Change oil
I ran a can of the BG Engine Performance Restore (EPR) on my last oil change and have run it on the previous two oil changes, so I don't think I have a sludge problem. Had I not just run the engine flush, I'd definitely do that.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Dropped the Blackstone oil sample in the mail today. We will see what the results are...

Anyone else have similar symptoms or ideas to throw out there?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Got the Blackstone oil analysis back, far left column below. A bit extra iron. I have switched to a thicker Rotella 15w40 from the Amsoil in the test, so hopefully that is helping, but still only driven a few miles on it as I still have the Low Oil Pressure warning come on.

Open to input and ideas. Plans are to change the oil pump to a Melling high volume pump when I get a free weekend. Not looking forward to it.

Comments are:

It's been a while since we've seen a sample from your Tahoe, so as a reminder, universal averages show typical wear after ~5,700 miles of oil use. This oil was in use about 350 miles or so and iron is at the average mark, showing extra steel wear. That's probably the metal you're seeing since it was on the magnet. Low oil pressure typically indicates bearing wear and there is some extra lead here, but not enough to mark. It's best to take a cautionary approach since the bearings are the heart of the engine. Try 500-1000 miles next if the engine runs well.

Search this Thread