Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD clunk from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yeah, I was worried about them trying to say something about the K&N. I've heard a lot of people that get crap about the K&N when they take it in for warranty. I would probably laugh in their face too if they said the K&N was the cause, I've never heard of an air intake that would demolish a rear, LOL. I'll see what they can do then before I take it off to the shop. Thanks for the help man.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it looks like it is the rear end, but I haven't heard for sure yet. Rather than dealing with warranty, I'm just gonna pay to get it fixed somewhere. Any suggestions on a new rear end (brands, gear ratios, etc). I want something that will be strong and will also give a little better acceleration.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Personally I would deal with the warranty or scrape the 10 bolt completely and find a nice 9.5 inch 14 bolt 6 lug rear axle to bolt in. It is a lot stronger than a 10 bolt and with it you will put your rear end troubles behind you (so to speak) for good!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much would a 14 bolt run? Also, where might I find one?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I would think 3 to 500 hundred depending on bone yard and the 9.5's came in some Z71 trucks and OBS light duty 3/4 ton truck too for several years. They are also being used today in 1500HD crew cab models. Remember there are two 14 bolts, the 10.5 inch one with full floating axle and 8 lug hubs (very heavy too) and the 9.5 inch semi floater with 6 lug hubs and you want the 9.5 one as a 10.5 would be a very big and heavy overkill for your needs and have the wrong lug pattern too.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, thanks a lot, I will look into that.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:59 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snoman
I would think 3 to 500 hundred depending on bone yard and the 9.5's came in some Z71 trucks and OBS light duty 3/4 ton truck too for several years. They are also being used today in 1500HD crew cab models. Remember there are two 14 bolts, the 10.5 inch one with full floating axle and 8 lug hubs (very heavy too) and the 9.5 inch semi floater with 6 lug hubs and you want the 9.5 one as a 10.5 would be a very big and heavy overkill for your needs and have the wrong lug pattern too.
The 9.5" 14-bolts that I've been able to find all run in the $750-$1500 range. I'm not saying that no one has ever exploded a 8.5 10-bolt, but it seems that the majority of the problems I've seen can be attributed to the weak G80.

Have there been a lot of rear end's grenading that I've missed? Anyone w/ an Eaton/Auburn unit ever broken other parts in the 10-bolt?

When you factor in swapping brakes or making the drums work, making brackets, etc to mount the 9.5, etc etc etc you could easily double or triple the cost of an Eaton/gears/TA girdle etc for the 10-bolt.

Am I wrong?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scream
Have there been a lot of rear end's grenading that I've missed? Anyone w/ an Eaton/Auburn unit ever broken other parts in the 10-bolt?

Am I wrong?
No you havnt missed anything. Snoman just likes to shove his ideas of 14bolts and 456 gears down everyones throat. Just ignore him He has been proven wrong on things he thinks he knows about all over the board by people who actually know what they are talking about.

And if it was me id be in the dealership using up that warrenty, remember you paid for that warrenty and I would get every last dollar out of GM that I could
Old 10-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
No you havnt missed anything. Snoman just likes to shove his ideas of 14bolts and 456 gears down everyones throat. Just ignore him He has been proven wrong on things he thinks he knows about all over the board by people who actually know what they are talking about.

And if it was me id be in the dealership using up that warrenty, remember you paid for that warrenty and I would get every last dollar out of GM that I could

No I talk reality you talk dreams. I have seen buckets of broken 10 bolts off road. Sure, follow Mac's advise, he's a "pro" and maybe he will replace you next rear axle out of warranty for you. Get it fixed for free if you can but do not spend one red cent out of your pocket for a rear end that belongs in a old 4 dr sedan, not a 5000lb truck with 31's or better on it. Like I said that the the above ignores, even Ford and Dodge use stronger rearend in the 1/2 tons and they are not doing it because I said so.

"Mac" your lack of knowledge of GM rear ends must really be limited and is only exceeded by you lack of understanding of gearing vs tire size, engine size, desired performance and weight being moved. Nobody I know has broken a 9.5 dragging or messing around but give me 10 minutes and some 35's or 36's and a locker and I will reduce your wonderfull 10 bolt to scrape metal.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snoman
"Mac" your lack of knowledge of GM rear ends must really be limited and is only exceeded by you lack of understanding of gearing vs tire size, engine size, desired performance and weight being moved. Nobody I know has broken a 9.5 dragging or messing around but give me 10 minutes and some 35's or 36's and a locker and I will reduce your wonderfull 10 bolt to scrape metal.
Your right. I could tell how much knowlegde you have when you gave tranny advice and info that was completely wrong. Two members had to point it out and correct you from your old school thinking which was not even close to what was really going on. But im supposed to believe your rear advice right..

Do what you want, these are only opinions. Like I said if it was me, **** yea the dealer would be fixing my **** because I PAID alot of money for that truck and im not just going to throw money out places I dont have to.

How many people on here have 14 bolts? None
How many run less than 13s? Quite a few
Hoe many 10 bolts do we see blowing up? None

I never said a 14 bolt wasnt stronger or not a good swap. I said if I was under warrenty your damn right the dealer would be replacing my rear.

Quick Reply: LOUD clunk from rear end