Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Looking for more power

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the biggest difference in headers is price and construction materials with stainless being much more expensive than coated steel

Last edited by nightrunner; 05-12-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Mr. Obvious

the pacesetter headers are very popular because of their quality and great price

if you need cats though you will need to get a catted y-pipe or other wise get the pacesetter off-road y-pipe

you need to have some goals for what you want out of your truck BEFORE you get a supercharger or turbo, if not you will spend lots more money changing to a better setup for you

honestly, before any other mod, i would get a custom tune, whether it be mail-order or in person

also you will NOT benefit from headers if you decide to go with an STS rear turbo, the stock manifolds hold the exhaust heat better, therefore making the turbo spool quicker, so ive read
Old 05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Mr. Obvious

oh, btw what 4wd burnout vid of an STS equipped truck are you talking about

if its the blue ext. cab sierra he is a member on here - F8LZ71
Old 05-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been searching the internet for Superchargers, Radix in particular, and I found a used one with 31K miles on it, it came off of an 03 Hummer 6.0L. I went to Magnuson and looked to see if it would fit, and as near as I can tell the Radix are all the same, only the manifolds are different. It is on ebay for starting bid of 1500, and includes everything, even the intercooler. I dont think Ill find another one for this price, and Im debating getting it, even if the intake manifold is wrong, it should be cheaper to swap out a manifold that fits my 5.3L then purchasing an entire kit brand new. Any thoughts?

As for what I want out of my truck...maintain a respectable fuel mileage, right now I get 16 average. I also want enough power to screw with people, basically play...maybe a few trips to the local mudbog...this isnt going to be a screaming eagle car, but I want it fast...I guess the easiest way to say it is a daily driver that has a big ole set of nuts. I dont think Ill go into the internals too much, maybe eventually a set of heads, and when it gets tired Ill rebuild the onternals, but right now I have about 60K on it, so I dont htink it will need all that much for awhile.

If this Supercharger turns out to be worth picking up then Ill most likely get it, and a set of longtubes...that will proabably be it for awhile, except for the tune..any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Mr. Obvious

great choice

you wont need to swap the intake manifold, it'll bolt right on your heads

the tune should come with the supercharger
Old 05-12-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A radix, long tube headers, and a tune? It will defintely be hard to whipe that grin off your face! As for the manifold, it should work, but you're better off calling Magnachargerto find out the differences.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Mr. Obvious

ALL LSx motors share the same intake manifold

that means ANY radix for a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 5.7 will work
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nightrunner:
You are a bad influence. The kid came on here saying he had plans on going FI in the future and in 26 hours +/- you have the kid buying a S/C on ebay!! JFWY

mcphck:
This site has saved my bacon many times and I'm a firm believer that you won't find a better group of people (who know what they are talking about) with your interests in mind. They aren't looking to profit from selling you anything, so they aren't gonna recommend you junk, just stuff that's proven to work. They just want you to go faster so that they in turn will have to go faster to keep ahead of you. The only knock on this site is it will make you spend money that you don't have...we've all been there.
Also for what your looking to do with your truck I think a radix will be perfect for you especially if you plan on going mudding from time to time. Not that I don't think STS will work but mudbog + intake under truck doesn't sound good to me. Although they are getting better, your mpg is not gonna be good with a radix, be prepared. I think you'll be ok without touching the internals because I think the efficiency of the radix stops at around 10 psi anyways.
Get ready to start breaking parts and welcome to the site.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And as a rule of thumb(if it isn't one it should be one) anytime someone on here helps you out you return the favor by taking pics of your truck and your set-up and posting them up. You get extra attention if you post vids!!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Mr. Obvious

Originally Posted by Spoolin
nightrunner:
You are a bad influence.

i know it but i just can help it. i love seeing seeing other people make their trucks fast. and i like helping other people out because EVERYTHING i know about these trucks i learned from this site reading and asking questions and helped me keep from buying junk and parts that dont work

Quick Reply: Looking for more power