Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for larger radiator HD duramax fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for larger radiator HD duramax fit?

i'm running hot in my 28" radiator truck. i've been looking all over the place for a replacement. i see plenty of the 34" 1 core radiators that will drop right in. i really would like to get a 34" 2 core if possible.

the only ones i see readily availible are for the duramax trucks. anyone know if it will drop into my truck? not worried about shroud i can build my own if needed.

other wise i am wondering how a 28"x 2" thick core stacks up against a 34"x 1" for cooling efficiantcy. i already have a shroud that fits the 28" wide core.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will only drop right in if you change out the whole radiator support and put a 3" body lift in while you're at it...

Stick with the gasser radiators. The D-max ones are a couple inches taller and are set back further to clear the charge air cooler.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

ok, thanks for a quick response. i'm not getting into all that mess. do you know if anybody makes a 34" core that is 2" thick or is the 1" thick core enough? i'd like to know what ever i get will also handle pulling a load if i do that some day. Or am i worrying about something that doesn't matter? will the extra thickness(2 core) add that much cooling?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

When you say you're running hot, what does that really mean? Towing? Not towing? Clutch fan? Electric fans? Outside temp? Conditions?

Obviously a wider radiator will give you more cooling capacity, but I don't know anything about multiple cores to answer those questions. If you're exceeding the capacity of the 28" radiator my first thought is that something else is wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The 34" and electric fans are more than enough for your cooling needs. If you are running hot then you more than likely have another issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Teching In

I have been wondering the same thing. My truck is a 2002 supercharged 6.0 with water/meth injection. My issue is I do heavy towing over the Colorado Rockies. I run 2-3 pounds of boost as we climb over the passes with my horse/Jeep trailer that weighs 12,500 pounds loaded. I watch my tranny temp and water temp all during the climb. Water goes to about 235 before the mechanical fan brings it down to about 190. On the very steep passes I have had to stop to cool the engine and tyranny sometimes. I have lots of power left but can't use it because of my cooling needs, what to do?
The tranny shop removed the in radiator cooling from the transmission so now I am dependent upon airflow to keep it cool along with the water. I think I need a larger radiator or additional "vacation" radiator for both the water and the tranny.
Any ideas on keeping the temp down while dragging that much weight over the mountains?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

my setup now is the 28"x1" stock v6 radiator. i just swapped to electric fans. it helped with my cooling, but its still getting hotter here in houston. my issue now is even driving at 75mph my temps still run 212-216 low load with my ac on. with it off it'll go down to 205-208 at speeds.

my fans keep it in check(below 220 ish) for the most part. when i commute home in the evenings i'm in nasty traffic (I45 north bound) and everytime i accelerate from a stop a add 3-5*F to my current temp. it recovers quickly but thats if there is no engine load. if i am in start/stop conditions those temps stack up quicker than my system can remove them.

to me it looks like i need a bigger heat sink and more capacity (ie bigger radiator). i want the best (for the money) that i can upgrade to because i don't want issues if i ever decide to tow a trailer later. all this is with no weight on my truck and flat roads.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

also, after my research the best radiator i could find is a silla 9590aa. i have ordered two that were listed as instock. both returned an email next day saying ordered cancelled item not in stock. this is messed up because the last order i made was over the phone. i had him check. he called warehouse and confirmed it was there then i made my order. i want to punch somebody in the face.

that radiator is all aluminum 34x17x1.25" core. its the one i want and biggest direct drop in i can find under $400.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Honestly if you're having cooling problems the first thing I'd recommend is going back to the clutch fan. That thing will pull more air when it locks up than electric fans will.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

not going that route. i drive 100miles a day. fuel economy in my truck ran 11.5 to 13.3. i check every fill up. since i've put the fans on my first tank was 14.6 then the next two have been 13.5 and 13.6. i'm saving too much to go back and like i said i was running warm with the clutch fan.

Quick Reply: Looking for larger radiator HD duramax fit?