PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Lifting the heads!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/lifting-heads-330407/)

Flyer 06-01-2005 08:25 PM

Lifting the heads!!!

Had another gasket leak on the heads. It was getting bad like last time where it was burning coolant on a cold start. Anyways, I pulled the heads and noticed that BOTH sides are lifting and blowing past on the outside of the motor, only one side was burning coolant.

WHat head gaskets are the bigger power motors using and having success with? I've been using GM MLS 6.0 gaskets. This is the 3rd set fixing to go on, and I don't really wanna do this again.

Pics to come later. :)

Steve Bryant 06-01-2005 09:53 PM

I think that besides making a gasket choice, you might want to check your heads for straightness and maybe your cylinder decks too. This will require an engine straight edge and feeler gages. If your heads are warped significantly, head gaskets won't solve the problem. Also, why are you using 6.0 L gaskets designed for a 4.000" bore when your 5.3 L has a 3.779" bore? This alone might be causing significant head gasket sealing problems.

Steve

99Silver6.0 06-01-2005 10:09 PM

Might be time to look into some Cometics. I see more and more LS1 guys using them. Down side is they are pretty expensive. Are your heads studded??

Flyer 06-02-2005 12:47 AM

I guess I should have given a little more info, it's a 5.3 with 6.0 heads on it. That's the reason for the 6.0 gaskets. I thnk I'm gonna try using some lube and a little different torqueing process that someone mentioned on the heads. ;)

Yes, they are studded.

The heads aren't warped, if that were the case, I would think it would be one or 2 cylinders, not all 4 on both sides on the outside edges. You can see the charred gasket on the head side on all 4 on one side and the back 3 on the other side, and one cylinder on the one that was leaking coolant on the block side. The last time this happened it was on the opposite side from the one that's now leaking. The heads were not swapped from last time either.

Since I already have the MLS gaskets, I'm gonna give them a shot again using a little more torque, 85 instead of 75. I also have to have this done by tomorrow, early Fri evening at the absolute latest.

F8L Z71 06-02-2005 08:51 AM

That's wild bro. I was using the stock 6.0L gaskets and didn't have any problems at 14psi. You're just a savage! :)

O3GMC 06-02-2005 09:21 AM

Are there any problems running the 6.0 heads on a 5.3? I could buy a set for cheap, but I'm thinking different bore size.... :confused:

F8L Z71 06-02-2005 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by O3GMC
Are there any problems running the 6.0 heads on a 5.3? I could buy a set for cheap, but I'm thinking different bore size.... :confused:

No problems here. Worked great for me and Flyer. :)

Flyer 06-02-2005 12:51 PM

The performance is awsome, for boosted apps, but I've had problems with head gaskets though. I do spin my up pretty high for a stock motor though. 6600 shift points and 6900 rev limiter.

TurboBerserker 06-02-2005 01:32 PM

I'm using MLS gaskets too. Did you over-torque your heads? Studs or bolts?

hellbents10 06-02-2005 01:39 PM

You have a detonation problem? as this is the only reason you should be lifting your heads if you are.