Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lets talk header, primary, collector sizes, exhaust guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stainless works are my recommendation for stainless. I don't know much about OBX but I have had stainless works and pacesetter and both did great, but the SW were alot thicker and didn't bend like the pacesetter.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mangled03gmc....care if we expand the scoop a little bit since we are on the subject?

Between shorty, mid-length, and long tubes?
In theory a long tube should make more power....however, what about all of the factors in the thread so far?
Primary size?
Collector size?
Primary lengths?

Primary size effects the powerband. Collector size and shape effects scavenging and the ability to pull exhaust out of the exhaust....merge collectors are to be shown best at this. Primary lengths.....the equal the pipes are to each other, the most power would be made. However, what would make more power between a set of long tube headers(1 3/4") with non-equal length primaries with a 3" standard collector vs. long tube headers with non-equal length primaries(1 3/4") with a 3" merge collectors vs. mid-length headers with equal(with 1-2" of each other) with a 3" merge collectors?

If those were your options for a power range of idle to 6500 rpms? Or is there a better way of thinking....obviously long tubes with equal primaries would be better but not everyone has the room to make custom equal length long tubes.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

OBX stuff is horrible if you are looking for the right thing. They have little to no collector on them. This is very important. You dont have to have a merge though. A merge wont gain you anything for 90% of the trucks out there. You need a zero back pressure system for that and what I mean by that is almost no exhaust. So a standard collector works fine. But you need a good standard collector.

If its a blower truck and you want good TQ, then stock to a 1 3/4 header. Go with a 3" collector only because you will want room to grow. You could also go 1 5/8 primaries as well to help with the exhaust velocity, but its up to you. You need to also sit down and calculate a length at which your headers will be most efficient.

But to sum it all up, its cheaper in the end to just buy a set of made headers. And you only get them a certain way. So instead of fighting what you are fighting now, just either buy a set, or build a set the way you want. Only two choices.

R
Old 10-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Hey thanks guys, I am looking for best out of the box headers, I do not have the time, nor money to make a set.. I totally get the idea of what the sizes of primes and collectors are for, do, but wanted to know if in fact if I buy a set of headers with a 2.5 in collector, if it would hurt me.. I think I am going to look into a set of SW, or dnyatec's, if the obx's arn't going to cut it..

John
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Have you thought about coating your pacesetters?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Have you thought about coating your pacesetters?
They were infact coated, but the winter and snow, the STA put so much ice down it just destroyed the finish..

John
Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Buy another set of pacesetters then.

R
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Baltimore Whore

I would, but i don't want to drop another 3+ on a set that I will be replacing againg in a few years.. Know what I mean Rick. I am looking into SW or dynatecs... Will obx's actually be that bad??

John
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I would, but i don't want to drop another 3+ on a set that I will be replacing againg in a few years.. Know what I mean Rick. I am looking into SW or dynatecs... Will obx's actually be that bad??

John

Buy a nice set of stainless headers then and never have to buy a set again. I dont like the OBX stuff.

R
Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rick....what if they don't make a set of headers for your truck...which one of the options would be best suited?

Quick Reply: Lets talk header, primary, collector sizes, exhaust guys come in