Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L96 or Bust!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I had more money lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Any ideas on how to run the electronics and control the trans? I'm sure you could modify a wiring harness from a newer vehicle to make work.
The trany actually has its own built in computer/control module (TCM) The catch with the new 6L80 and 6L90 is that they require that the motor they are attached to have a 58 reluctor wheel.. The TCM in the trany communicates with the motor ECM to know what it should be doing..
The new transmissions are really "smart" they read the throttle position, engine speed, timing.. and a few other items and then determine if it is doing what it needs to be doing or if it needs to make a change.

To answer your question.. I did alot of asking and reading and the best way to do a swap to the new platforms is to get as much as you can from the donor vehicle. To start with because I got a complete package everything will work together. I basically just need to install it into the car and turn the key..

I could mod the existing 40 year old original wiring to tie into the the new stuff.. that is a ton of work and then I have the added worry of how long the old stuff will last.. So I do plan to mod a wiring harness from like a new camaro, gto, cts, or the van i got the motor from..

Once it is all in I still have to look into the trany.. being it came from a van the TUTD is not activated, the tire sizes will be different for the correct speedo reading.. then there are the enhancements that could be done to shift points and firmness of shifts..

The one thing I still have a question on is the converter.. I'm not sure the stock one will give me the performance I'm looking for.. I'm not going to race it but I want a sporty ride..
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by david0982
Wish I had more money lol.
I couldn't pass it up.. I was going to piece it together, but once I looked at the cost of buying the items separately (motor, ecm and wiring, trany..) it made the best money sense to get the package.. and I know it will all work together as it did in the donor vehicle.
Timing wasn't the greatest for sure.. but the best deal for the money.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Circle-D is making 6L90E converters these days if I'm not mistaken. Yank may as well. Either one of those two companies can get you setup with something reliable as stock and WAY more fun to drive.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Circle-D is making 6L90E converters these days if I'm not mistaken. Yank may as well. Either one of those two companies can get you setup with something reliable as stock and WAY more fun to drive.
Yeah someone else told me to take a look at the Circle-D site.. I'll check that out when I get a chance. Thanks!
I haven't really thought about a cam or anything and I know that will be something they will want to know.

Still looking for a MAF part number for that.. Maybe I should check Rock Auto.. None of the local parts stores have anything listed..

Last edited by LS1MonteSS; 09-18-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

LS3 and L92 heads are not the same but they are both of the GEN IV variety. What's the casting number on them?
12576181 that was all I could find on the block.. it was strange though, it was on the passengers side rear not the drivers side..