Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound

Hey all. I'm new in here but not to LS1tech. I've got a 99 Silverado Z71 w/ the 5.3. Yesterday a friend of mine and I put a Flowmaster on my truck and when we started it back up it had a knocking sound. It sounded just like a bad rod bearing. You had to give it a little throttle and when it came back down you could hear it. It wasn't doing it while idling though. I drove it down the road maybe half a mile and got back and it stopped. Has anyone heard of the 5.3's making this kind of noise? Pushrod? Other than the Flow it's stock with 99K on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UDNTCME
Hey all. I'm new in here but not to LS1tech. I've got a 99 Silverado Z71 w/ the 5.3. Yesterday a friend of mine and I put a Flowmaster on my truck and when we started it back up it had a knocking sound. It sounded just like a bad rod bearing. You had to give it a little throttle and when it came back down you could hear it. It wasn't doing it while idling though. I drove it down the road maybe half a mile and got back and it stopped. Has anyone heard of the 5.3's making this kind of noise? Pushrod? Other than the Flow it's stock with 99K on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Probalby piston slap (if you are sure it isn't the exhaust againt the frame since that is what you worked on). All gen3 engines are prone to piston slap. The piston basically wabbles in the cyl when cold and when it heats up and swells it stops.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDNTCME

did the motor stop by it self r did u stop itwere did you put the ground if u put it were it may have going through the motorit may have messed up a bearing.i would check what u worked on last
Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Probalby piston slap (if you are sure it isn't the exhaust againt the frame since that is what you worked on). All gen3 engines are prone to piston slap. The piston basically wabbles in the cyl when cold and when it heats up and swells it stops.
I'm familiar with piston slap. That's not it though. It's still running fine, it's just not making the noise anymore. Oil pressure is good too. 40- about 80 psi.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by litreddevil
did the motor stop by it self r did u stop itwere did you put the ground if u put it were it may have going through the motorit may have messed up a bearing.i would check what u worked on last
It never stopped running. Only stopped making the noise. By ground, do you mean the welder? It was grounded to the muffler itself.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Teching In

My 02 6.0 slaps when cold then it goes away. No worries
Old 06-06-2006, 07:36 PM
CNE
Staging Lane

They all knock when cold, if it don't, it will.