Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Kind of a Noob with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of a Noob with some questions.

Are there any mods that can be done at a reasonable price, like sub 1k for the 5.3 to get a little more power out of it. I have an 01 Z71 and was just curious if theres any way to really get power out of these without goin big money. thanks a lot.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

A good custom tune would do a lot and be a good base. I'm not a fan of mail order tunes, but if you could find someone local to do the tuning, that would be better.

A small cam would be nice as well.

A torque converter would be a good option too.

If you don't have it already, maybe a cold air intake too.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'd stick to the tried and true basics.

I'm looking at doing;
- CAI
- Exhaust
- Tuning

If that doesn't satisfy you then I'd look at cam, converter, etc...

Is this the Z71 in your sig? If that's the case exhaust wise the only thing you have left are headers if you haven't already done that. Then cam and a converter matched for you what you use the truck for. Have you considered gears? A good tune is defnitely in order. I was talking to the guys at Texas Speed. They were saying trucks typically pick up pretty damn good numbers with a good dyno tune.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, my Z71 in sig. the thing is, its my daily driver so i still want it to be totally driveable and not suckin gas so i dont think gears are gonna happen. im in the middle of BFE where there is no dyno shop around. im smack in the middle between STL, Indy, Nashville, and Louisville. the only dynoshop is the one i work at but we're a carb shop and don't have any fuel injection modification stuff. also, how much would the cold air intake hurt me if i get off in a mudhole. i live in the country so i will see a nice mud pit now and then. thanks.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

As long as you get a CAI like the Volant or Outlaw I think you'd be fine. If you got one that's not totally sealed then just make sure to pick up a filter wrap that will work with the filter you get.

As far as it being a DD I can feel your pain. Do you have headers yet? They'd help, if you do then about all that's left is a cam. I'd highly recommend TSP. They can set you up with a mild cam, ZO6 valvesprings would probably work, which I've heard they pretty much give the springs away. Also Jason there is a wizard when it comes to tuning. They can nail a mail order tune pretty damn close to as good as it's going to get. Quite a few folks over on LS1Tech.com have mail order tunes from them and say they're good. I'd say the main thing if you get a cam is to get a mail order tune from the place that makes the cam. Reason being, chances are they've sold a few of the cams to people who've come in for a dyno tune with similar mods as you and know about where everything needs to be. Something like Texas Speed's 220 or 224 would probably have minimal effect on fuel mileage and driveability would be a small difference if any. Trevor is a great guy to talk to there. Plus a smaller cam with the right profile could really boost your mid range torque...that would make playing in the mud quite fun.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A nice little cam, and a converter would be great, but then you'd be over the $1K mark with the tune for it. I have a Z-71 too, and actually some well matched gears will help milage. In one of my z's I went from 3.42's with 31's to 4.56's with 35's and picked up about 2 MPG. All the bolt ons will help, but you will see the biggest gains with a cam, LT's, and a converter (they will all work together) and a good tune to tie them together. A good tune will really wake it up, and make it drive like a completely different truck
Old 03-29-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also get some ls1 electric fans and a nelson fan harness, or you can get a harness from white1. then a computer tune to turn the fans on, and youre set.... that will only set u back a few hundred bucks and gain gas mileage...you can get an underdrive pulley...that will help a little bit too. still keeping it relatively cheap.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

what headers would you guys recommend that have a good price to power value. id love to have dynatech's but those are out of the truck budget. the car is the baby that will get the expensive no holds bar, only the best, kinda stuff. the truck gets best function for best dollar. im not asking for the cheapest mid-long headers. im asking for the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best Bang For The Buck Is The Pacesetter Long Tubes....i Got My Ceramic Coated Pace Longtubes On Ebay New In Box For $325.00 Shipped To My Door...check The Sponsors.................
Old 04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

where is a good place to buy pacesetter LT's that's not ebay?

Quick Reply: Kind of a Noob with some questions.