Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal X-pipe Muffler, or 2 Mufflers with X-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal X-pipe Muffler, or 2 Mufflers with X-pipe?

What is the real purpose of having 1 muffler with 2 inlets/2 outlets,and the one muffler having an internal x-pipe inside the one muffler?

Or...2 straight through mufflers with 1 inlet/1 outlet,and an x-pipe installed well before the actual 2 mufflers?

Is one better that the other,or do they both get the exact same results?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't know, but it seems like if you use the internal x-pipe muffler that you will still need two more mufflers.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-both-380837/
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I don't know, but it seems like if you use the internal x-pipe muffler that you will still need two more mufflers.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-both-380837/
Respectfully, I don't think you understand what I am asking. No problem.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I know exactly what you are asking, that's why I said I don't know. I added the link to show that the single X muffler wouldn't be sufficient, hoping that you would surmise that the single x muffler system would most likely end up flowing less than the x-pipe and two mufflers, because you will probably end up adding two more mufflers. As far as exhaust scavenging benefits, I would think that the X 'muffler is just a gimmick. It would have to reduce the effects of reflective waves, and also reduce velocity and therefore scavenging. I find your comment disrespectful, even though you said respectfully". A simple "you didn't answer my question" would have worked.
My opinion is that if there are any actual benefits to be gained by an x-pipe, I would go with a real x-pipe and two mufflers. Again, I was just pointing out that you would most likely end up with three mufflers if you use a x muffler instead of an x-pipe.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 AM

Please forgive me for offending you with my reply. That certainly were not my intentions.

Now do different make V8 engine have "different firing order" where having true dual exhaust kill low end TQ,and even gas mileage. Does that make sense what I'm asking.

I ask this because I have heard many people make this specific statement,and it sounds very foreign to me. I would be grateful for any and all feedback regarding this.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't think a muffler with a built in X pipe would scavenge as efficiently as a true X pipe. the scavenging theory in x pipes work off of exhaust pulses. The perforated tube inside of a muffler is designed to dissipate those pulses to reduce noise.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I think there are benefits from an x pipe but that is dependent on your mods. I never saw a loss in low end power with a true dual exhaust and I even think the x pipe removes some rasp and drone from the exhaust as well
Old 02-18-2019, 01:20 PM

I was told that on a Nissan Titan that true dual exhaust will kill low end TQ and gas mileage. People are saying the engine is so different that other trucks ,and that it is because the firing order of the engine? Seems weird to me.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
I think there are benefits from an x pipe but that is dependent on your mods. I never saw a loss in low end power with a true dual exhaust and I even think the x pipe removes some rasp and drone from the exhaust as well
i agree an x pipe is mod dependant. In a blower app the scavenging effect is less important than NA or nitrous. My old x pipe combos with the longest bullets were much more raspy than my current 3.5” duals with a H pipe and shorter bullets. No clue on the drone effect. The only thing i could do to fix drone was corsa mufflers.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by William David
I was told that on a Nissan Titan that true dual exhaust will kill low end TQ and gas mileage. People are saying the engine is so different that other trucks ,and that it is because the firing order of the engine? Seems weird to me.
So is know one familiar with ,or ever heard of the above statement I previously made?

Quick Reply: Internal X-pipe Muffler, or 2 Mufflers with X-pipe?