Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake questions

I'm looking at upgrading the air intake now that my exhaust is finished up. I know the stock box works well enough so I am looking into just a tube. Airaid makes one as does k&n. The k&n tube is half the price of the airaid setup. Is there a reason for that?

Also do these require electric fans before they will fit?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got knn dropin filter with airraid tube. tell them to send you a longer rubber tube to fit the stock box properly.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would prefer not to pay the price for the Airraid setup if the k&n will work just as well. I am surprised I don't see anyone running it?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

I got one of the black $60 intake off ebay & used JUST the tube, stuck a $25 spectre panel filter in the oem box.

I also opened up the front of the box but honestly its a little too loud at times.

If I had to do it again I'd just get an 07+ box and open up the fender to accomodate. I probably still will.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i had to put money on it the K&N tube is just for the replacement of the tube on their kits. so it wouldn't work on the stock box.

i got the airaid tube and it fit perfectly. they have 2 models one for with e-fan and without.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Airaid tube and drop in filter had the best performance gains in a comparison review I saw back when I was shopping for an intake. So, that's what I got and I never looked back. It's a perfect fit and works good.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobfig
if i had to put money on it the K&N tube is just for the replacement of the tube on their kits. so it wouldn't work on the stock box.

i got the airaid tube and it fit perfectly. they have 2 models one for with e-fan and without.
I just sent K&N an email to find out what exactly it fits so I will report back if I find anything out.

Originally Posted by batboy
The Airaid tube and drop in filter had the best performance gains in a comparison review I saw back when I was shopping for an intake. So, that's what I got and I never looked back. It's a perfect fit and works good.
I wouldn't have a problem using the same setup except for the price. Its $150 for just the tube and almost $180 for the tube and a filter (which I don't want anyway). The K&N part is less than $50 for the tube, so if it will fit, that's the route I would rather take. Afterall, a tube is a tube.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I sadly went with the spectre hot air intake, gonna look in to an airaid tube or something along the lines..its just too damn expensive.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slowest_1500
I sadly went with the spectre hot air intake, gonna look in to an airaid tube or something along the lines..its just too damn expensive.
Man that spectre tube will clamp on to your oem box, no heat and looks neat
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

I bought the $50 k&n tube off ebay and a silicone coupler for the TB and a silicone reducer for the MAF. Already had a K&N cone filter that fit perfectly on the MAf. Total I think i spent around $70 for my cai and works excellent.

Quick Reply: Intake questions