Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Eaton posi for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Eaton posi for dummies

Has anyone done this themselves? Any tips? Could you do a real quick write up? I can get the cover off, and probably remove the c-clips and axle shafts, but I'm not sure about the rest. Also what is involved in swapping new gears too? And what are races, carrier bearings, and crush sleeves? What all do I need to buy?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing Eaton posi for dummies

wow </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> And what are races, carrier bearings, and crush sleeves? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you have lots to learn and im not good at explaining so i will let someone else do the honors.
Good luck though it is not too difficult.
Ryan
Old 11-22-2002, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt some one help him out
cash you have a pm

<small>[ November 22, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: sleeper silverado ]</small>
Old 11-22-2002, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Ok If you define your self as a dummy, LEAVE IT ALONE! Once you do the cover, unbolt the driveshaft, loosen up the 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 nut on the pinion, unbolt the center pin bolt and slide it out, then remove all the spider gears, remove the 2 c-clips,4 big carrier bolts,slide the axles out( a tad), pull the carrier out, and ,slide out the pinion gear.
Then if you wanna rebuild the whole rearend you gotta take the axles all the way out, get a bearing puller for the outer axle bearings and seals,and have the inner ones pressed out, as well as the pulling the outer pinion bearing and seal and depress the inner bearing. Then reverse the whole thing to put those back in .
The carrier bolts that hold the ring to the carrier are about 5/8 or so and are lock tited on! You should have the new pinion bearing pressed in now and then bolt in the new ring to the carrier. Heres where the fun starts!
You need a certain depth gauge to see how deep in the pinion should be set, if your lucky you wont have to get shims put in by unpressing the bearing and putting them in. Once you get pinion depth set you gotta put the carrier and new ring in. Then you gotta set in the lash! Thats the distance the carrier/ring moves in and out which is also set by shims , except these are on the side of the carrier and are taken in and out just by sliding the carrier out. once thats done you can push the axles back in ,put the spider gears in with the center pin and bolt, slide in the c-clips, put the 4 carrier bolts back in , put the cover on, and fill it with fluid! Then break it all in and Im done! HAVE FUN!