Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

i'm over heating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
The fans shouldn't be an issue at highway speed unless they are blocking airflow through the radiator. If you can attach a pic of them, this would be helpful. The key thing here to me is that you didn't have this problem until you switched the fans.

By parallel, you mean each fan is seeing +12V, right, and one is not wired to the other, i.e. positive to negative (series)?

I run a single 16" Lincoln MK 8 fan on my LT1 280 and it will suck the paint off the wall/small animals from roadside at high speed. It is also a close match to the radiator core, so all air is going through it.

As for air in the coolant, I'm not that familiar w/ the Gen 3. I know the LT1 has two air bleeds in the cooling system.

yes parallel both + together and both -'s together not + -+-. i looked at the fans and i think they mey be causing air flow blockage. i took them off and put on the old gran dam pontiac fan from the junk yard. its not as hot today so its hard to fully check but as of right now going 45-50mph it stays at 170'ish and sitting still with a/c at full cold it was at 203.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Zick
So your running some kind of aftermarket mechanical fan bolted to the waterpump pulley correct?
If thats the case, I would ditch that and at least go back to the stock clutch fan. I had one of those cheap flex fans before on an older vehicle (not this one) and it was a piece of ****.

Get yourself a LS1 fan setup and call it a day.

I ran my LT1 fans on my LS1 without problems using a 180* thermostat. I'm still using the same fans on my 11.5:1 LQ9 without problems.
nope there electric and i wire up a relay to let the ecu turn them on. i want some ls1 fans but there not cheap.

onebadrubi: they were pulling not pushing and they are set to go off at 45mph.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are 2 14" flex-a-lite fans that flow ALOT of air. It kept my heads/cam 5.3 with non-coated headers cool. I really dont think its the fans, but just to be sure we could build a custom shroud sometime. If it was only overheating in trafic then maybe an airflow problem. But its running warmer than the thermostat on the highway. Thats not an air flow issue because you dont even need fans over 25mph unloaded. That LS1 is not quite right. Its producing way too much heat. It shouldnt run much warmer than the 4.8 around town because at part throttle it makes simular power. One thing that could make an engine run hotter at part throttle is too little timing. Isnt your timing at part throttle like 26*? I run like 45* part throttle. We should look into that.

You working tonight or are you home?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
The fans shouldn't be an issue at highway speed unless they are blocking airflow through the radiator. If you can attach a pic of them, this would be helpful. The key thing here to me is that you didn't have this problem until you switched the fans.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i'm at home. i think its the fans i don't think they pull that much air you said your self your use to over heat until you took the insulation of the hood. my one fans blows more air toward the eng than those two. its louder but it seems to pull more air.i think i'll kut the webing off of those fans and put them up front as pushers and put my one on the back as a puller.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

you can pull the tab off the shaft on those fans and swap the blades around to make them pushers.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

I looked at Summit's page for these fans, and they claim 1505 CFM per fan. If you are pulling 3000+ CFM, you should not be overheating. I have found manufacturer ratings to be overly optimistic, as with the Perma-Cool setup I used on my car. The timing issue has merit. If nothing has changed other than the fan(s), then this points to the dual fans as being the problem. Another factor as Snake mentioned would be the lack of a full shroud impairing cooling at slow speeds or idle.

You need to check the blade orientation on these as you mentioned using them as pushers- as I recall, you have to flip the blades and then reverse the polarity. You will loose efficiency with them as pushers, but every little bit helps. I have a 12" in front of my oil cooler pushing when the AC is on, and this is a tough setup- I pulled the TA's foglights and ducted two 5" hoses to the intercooler. The airflow has to go through the IC, then the oil cooler, then the condenser, then the Be Cool radiator. This says a lot for the stock fan setup for a car that dynoed 498 RWHP . I also used weatherstripping to seal the shroud to the radiator when I built the car.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I would definitely, look into the fans. I am very critical of the electric fan setups, I had nothing but issues with my FAL setup in my crew cab, went back to stock clutch fan and never looked back. And sometimes it is very difficult to tell whether or not they are pushing or pulling. One way to check, may be a pain in the ***, but would be to remove the efans and re-install the clutch fan and see if that helps.

You didn't say, but how long have you had the 160 stat in, and have you been having problems cooling since it was installed? If so, I have seen bad thermostats, some from the factory, also it could definitely be an air bubble in the line from when the stat was installed. Lastly, you may need to look into your tune. I'm sure if you are running such a setup, that the pcm has been adjusted to run the efans, but the temperature at which they cut on may not corrulate with the 160* stat.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

mine does the same thing, it has been 90 here all week. i think the electric fans restrict air flow some, cause mine is worse 70+ & fine at idle
Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

something isn't right for sure but. i put in the 160 stat because it over heated with the stock one. i had it already but didn't install it yet but it overheated one day last week so i threw it in to see what it would do. it is tuned for it i did the tune myself. its not the tune. now that i put the other fan in it cooled better at idle then on the interstate. you know those little flaps on each side of the radiatorthat have like foam strip on one side and plastic snps to hold it to the shroud on the other side i took those off but i can't remimber if it was this winter or not i think they are there to help route the air through the radiator maybe thats some of it. and earlier when i took off the old fans i felt the rad and the bottom half was cool and top half warm is this normal.

Quick Reply: i'm over heating!!!!!!!!!!!!