Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How well have your coated headers held up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
I had my dyantechs coated locally and they are holding up well. Of course they are stainless and we don't have to worry about the harsh winters of the north down here in GA
same here

Im 4wd and have dynatechs and they fit PERFECT on my truck no issues and dynatech just released a new version that was supose to fix the spark plug issue and some fitment issues that were reported
Old 07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look at most responses of those they say they hold up are from the south and see little snow and salt.

The salt will eat away any ceramic coating I have yet to see any hold up by any manufacture.

Stainless is the only way to go here in chicago.

I am in the same boat as you I do not want to drop the cash on stainless since it is just a truck to me and will be slow versus my car but if you drive in the snow and salt you will be pissed as most others with the finish started to go from the salt.

You have a heated pipe with salt contacting it and drying pretty quick then salt spray hits it again same thing it drys quickly and the process just repeats till the coating breaks down. Pretty much the same as paint and metal tests for durabilty just with your money on your vehicle.

Salt wins everytime.

My stainless uncoated have been on my car for 6 winters and just turn a coffee color from tarnish but never have had a problem.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Default From another northerner

You should try swaintech......I think its swaintech.com...anyways, I have had their coating on my audi's headers for about 4 yrs...still looks almost new except for some oil spots...but no rust! I am planning on having my LT's coated before I install them as well. Since they are just a coatings expert, the level of prep is very good...I even had the hot side of my turbos coated and they still look new.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

so far so good, I used Olympic Coatings
Old 07-25-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

After two NJ winters, the coating on my ASMs is rusting off badly. Especially at the collectors and where the primary's cross over each other. Since the truck only has one more winter left in it max, I'll be getting them recoated.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info guys,
I'll have to check with a few people today, and see who guarrantees their work.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the titanium ceramic coated TOG's. They've been on the truck for about 3-1/2 years now and look just like they did the day I put them on.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new Info

I have some new info about pacesetters coated headers.

Pacesetter sends their headers out to be coated by someone else.
They use 1 of 3 different companies for this.
2 local companies which they would not name, and also JET HOT.
They said they couldn't tell me which place the headers they had in stock were coated at. (I didn't press him too much)
He also told me that if their coated headers were exposed to the minnesota winter environment, that I should expect some corrosion.
The PS ORY has a normal aluminized finish that you find on other exhaust products.

So, I called JET HOT.
The guy was very helpful.
He said that they do coat some of pacesetters stuff.
When they do work for pacesetter, they do not give them the same coating process that their retail customers get. Pacesetter has chosen to get a lower level of coating applied.
When they do PS products, they apply a single coat to the outside only.
When they do retail work, they apply a double layer to the outside, and a single layer to the inside.
When you purchase new headers from JET HOT, they come with a lifetime guaranty against corrosion.
He recommended that I go with a "colored" finish, and not the polished finish, for the most corrosion protection. He said the gray would look nice, and protect well. The "color" is a third layer, and adds some extra protection.

JET HOT sells PaceSetter headers with any coating they carry, including a thermal coated ORY pipe for $725.

Last edited by Moddoo; 08-17-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Moddoo
I have some new info about pacesetters coated headers.

Pacesetter sends their headers out to be coated by someone else.
They use 1 of 3 different companies for this.
2 local companies which they would not name, and also JET HOT.
They said they couldn't tell me which place the headers they had in stock were coated at. (I didn't press him too much)
He also told me that if their coated headers were exposed to the minnesota winter environment, that I should expect some corrosion.
The PS ORY has a normal aluminized finish that you find on other exhaust products.

So, I called JET HOT.
The guy was very helpful.
He said that they do coat some of pacesetters stuff.
When they do work for pacesetter, they do not give them the same coating process that their retail customers get. Pacesetter has chosen to get a lower level of coating applied.
When they do PS products, they apply a single coat to the outside only.
When they do retail work, they apply a double layer to the outside, and a single layer to the inside.
When you purchase new headers from JET HOT, they come with a lifetime guaranty against corrosion.
He recommended that I go with a "colored" finish, and not the polished finish, for the most corrosion protection. He said the gray would look nice, and protect well. The "color" is a third layer, and adds some extra protection.

JET HOT sells PaceSetter headers with any coating they carry, including a thermal coated ORY pipe for $725.
Thanks for digging in... Appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Wink

Just had my Dynatech LT's ceramic coated by Nitro Plate. That's who Dynatech uses if it matters.
Well, they seem to be holding up and shinning very well in the box!!

Jim

Quick Reply: How well have your coated headers held up?