Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

how to get rid of piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shandy294
It was good to point-out that there are two seperate types of knock being discussed...it eliminated some confusion.

Slammed was talking about the carbon-induced type. As far as I know,GM hasn't changed the type of pistons.

Thank you, thats exactly what I am talking about, at least there are a few people that understand things.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing this today. We'll see how it works. I'm due for an oil change pretty soon. The web site for the Trimaxx says that the stage 3 takes about 5-45 miles to do its thing.

slammeds10 did the rep say anything about a recommended interval before changing the oil after using the stage 3 crankcase cleaner?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slammedS10

What the hell are you talking about, "no carbon build-up" !!! are you blind??? lood the top of your pistons, I hope that you were being sarcastic.
The carbon is only a couple thousandths thick, I oiled the cylinders so it looks like its thicker, the texture that you see is part of the piston. Still, its not enough to cause the piston to head contact, and that’s my point. Now carbon on the side of the piston causing piston slap is more believable
Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meatwad
I'm doing this today. We'll see how it works. I'm due for an oil change pretty soon. The web site for the Trimaxx says that the stage 3 takes about 5-45 miles to do its thing.

slammeds10 did the rep say anything about a recommended interval before changing the oil after using the stage 3 crankcase cleaner?

No we dont recommend oil changes, he never said it was nec. to do it. So far I am well over a week and no noise has come back. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black02Z71
The carbon is only a couple thousandths thick, I oiled the cylinders so it looks like its thicker, the texture that you see is part of the piston. Still, its not enough to cause the piston to head contact, and that’s my point. Now carbon on the side of the piston causing piston slap is more believable
Carbon build up on the side of the piston is the case . Are you telling me that to the Thousandth of an inch that the carbon build up on the TOP of you piston is is exact all the way across????, Who said anything about the piston hitting the head???
Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

All done. Still have some of the cleaner in the gas tank running through. Cold start knock wherever it was coming from was less this morning. I still have some valvetrain ticking but doesn't sound like the knock at all.

I went ahead and changed my oil. I was overdue and per the TRimaxx website I had driven enough, about 45 miles, before changing. My thinking was, with an already dirt filter, it might not effectively clean the additional residue removed. Anyhow brand new Mobil1 is in there now.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

The pistons in the 6.0s were re-designed slightly. I work for a company supplying machines to one of GMs suppliers that makes 6.0 pistons.
The coating on the sides of the pistons was changed slightly as well.
What changed??? Don't know, but the issue was addressed. How well did the changes work?? Seems like they are better but still not very good.
The way I see it is if you get some piston slap and its not hurting anything its more of an annoyance than anything.
Part of the reason GM vehicles get better mileage and performace is from looser fitting parts. Sloppy no! Looser for higher power output and better economy...yes!
The skirts on the pistons in these engines is very short compared to the GM engines of old. This is probably part of the slap reason, as well as the fact that the pistons are machined with a slight oval profile so they grow into being round. (heat)
Thats the nature of cast pistons and the wall thickness variation in the overall design of the part.
Just some real world info being presented.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 05-13-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot for the info.