Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

!!! Help this is stumping everone

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I used that site as a reference for part numbers and what to expect, although mine was no where near that dirty. but still, ive replaced coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms and gaskets. lol. but then as im putting things back i made an oopsie on a ground strap, so gotta make a new one... lol
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cams 98 silverado
oh, well I have not really posted any update. i swapped out the rocker arms and pushrods, and as i was valve lashing, number 5 exhaust would not tighten. every rotation, i would tighten then rotate and its loose. so thats a bad lifter. so, took intake off, put in all new lifters, intake was uber deep cleaned. that thing looks brand spankin' new. everything was scrubbed until new. so then lashed valves, and all are properly lashed. now, i have a question. Since i took my battery out, and i have been moving the crank, do i have to do a crank re-learn? i know if i take out the sensor i need a re-learn, but do i need to do it? the manual has nothing to say about that but i was wondering. also, since it hasnt started in 3 weeks from me fiddling with it and also working a lot, should i do something special when starting it? im putting everything back together today and hoping to turn the key tomorrow maybe.
When you say "moving the crank", do you mean turning the engine over by hand? If so you shouldn't need a crank relearn...shouldn't need to do anything special when you start it either.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
When you say "moving the crank", do you mean turning the engine over by hand? If so you shouldn't need a crank relearn...shouldn't need to do anything special when you start it either.
what Bud said
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Launching!

I would have sworn that youre initial problem was a stuck lifter. My old '95 S10 4.3 did the same thing after I raced a friends Tacoma a long time ago. Ran some engine flush and changed the oil, never had a problem after that. Truck is still running strong (sold to my ex's father) 7 years later. Anyhow, stuck lifter imho
Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Launching!

eh. yeah. i thought about it longer and i figured either way start it and if it needs a re-learn so be it lol. yeah, i heard that would have fixed it, but honestly, i feel better that im finally getting rid of all my ticking and i have been wanting to do my intake gaskets, ive been seeing small amounts of oil residue at the gasket area so it was a win win situation. plus, i know everything pretty much besides springs and valves and intake are replaced. it will last long enough until i graduate college with business entrepreneur and automotive bachelor. and as a grad. present to myself, a nice built 454 blown with a 4l80e goes in along with 14 rear and blah blah... i kinda want to put a blower on this motor, but that trans will not last with my foot. anyhoo... i had a feeling i might have done a flush and it would help, but ive run many flushes and honestly it seems like it would not have helped. but now that i know for sure that i dont need a re-learn, and im sure that stoopid dist. is put in correct, it should essentially start lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

okedoke, so, got it all back together. and battery was charged, stuck the key in ignition, and it cranks. however, it wont start. i don't even get a fire. i see my belt turning, and i heard a single fire perhaps, but it sounds like there's no spark plugs and its just turning. plugs are in, and everything is back on correctly. i pulled the distributor thinking i didn't put it in right, and there was lots of oil on it so i know its hooked to the oil pump as well. so, what the heck is it? do i have to prime my oil since i installed new lifters?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Launching!

just an idea. would squirting some oil into the spark plug holes be a good idea? because i did a compression test before disassembly and all were 150psi across the board. and ive rotated the motor a lot doing valve lash and what not plus it hadnt had oil run through for 3 weeks. would that be the reason why it sounds like theres not compression?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Launching!

okay, so after some tinkering and a buddy callin his pops, we figured out that the valve lash was just too tight. so, we loosened em up, kept trying and now i has compression. now it sounds like a proper motor. only i tried to start it, and my timing is WAY!!!...!!! offf. hehe. i uh... kept moving it thinking i made an oopsie with timing but yeah, i get to deal with that issue late today... really wish i had the money for a 24x wheel and coil near plug. but im saving that for the 454. this lil tree fitty just needs to start so i can drive to tilted kilt sunday to get some boob pics of the hotties that work there. yeah, told my pops about that and he wants pics too. lol. i wonder where i get my antics from?! anyhoo, mee likey bouncy. ill post later when i get my timing correct and if i go to that boob show im postin pics!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting for pics of bouncy bouncy
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Launching!

okay, so you wanna hear something really stupid yet funny, im outside, playing with the timing, and i must say trying to find cylinder one tdc is tricky being alone. so anyhoo, i just screwed the plug in a thread so i can hear the compression hiss out at tdc of one. and it worked, and im sure its ready to fire... only to realize that after a prayer, and calling all gods to blessith my charriot, my battery is mostly dead from cranking yesterday... D'OH!!! damn it. ok, so thankfully i prepared for this years ago by installing a second battery on the truck for accessories. swap it, crank it, O COME ON!!! i think that battery is starting to go on me now... so, battery A is on the charger, and I am sulking in the corner and now tomorrow after work, i will launch home and try and start this thing. because boobies be calling my name. and im a fan of plaid skirts.
I just cannot believe i forgot the cardinal rule, charge batteries!!!

Quick Reply: !!! Help this is stumping everone