Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me match a cam to my stall....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

tr224 duh
Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DozerDan
I didn't see where the OP asked for ******* comments. Tyler was just stating his experience. Quit bein a know it all dick
Know it all dick, nah def not. I do not and never will claim to KNOW IT ALL lol.
But i do know that spinning tires is not a direct relaiton to making power haha.
Stock trucks can destroy tires a tb stall is a bandaid for a 224 cam nothing more.
Your right though the OP didn't ask for ******* comments but he also didn't ask to be mislead from a bunch of guys trying to talk him out of a stall he already has.
Not to mention ya'll wanna tell him to go bigger cam when he has no want "so far" to rev over 6200.
A big cam pulls later in the powerband not early...duh.
So if his rev limit for his setup is 6200 he doesn't need a cam like you have bud.
A cam with a usable powerband is what it sounds like he is after not something that sounds cool.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
Know it all dick, nah def not. I do not and never will claim to KNOW IT ALL lol.
But i do know that spinning tires is not a direct relaiton to making power haha.
Stock trucks can destroy tires a tb stall is a bandaid for a 224 cam nothing more.
Your right though the OP didn't ask for ******* comments but he also didn't ask to be mislead from a bunch of guys trying to talk him out of a stall he already has.
Not to mention ya'll wanna tell him to go bigger cam when he has no want "so far" to rev over 6200.
So if his rev limit for his setup is 6200 he doesn't need a cam like you have bud.
A cam with a usable powerband is what it sounds like he is after not something that sounds cool.

I am not trying to argue, but I think bluecajun was shifting higher than 6200
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I am not trying to argue, but I think bluecajun was shifting higher than 6200
I am aware that he shifts higher than 6200. And that is my point exactly.
Even a 220 cam can be turned over 6200rpms and still make power but the OP said he only wants to shift at 6200.
If he only wants to shift at 6200 then there is no reason to go larger than a 220 cam. The 220 will already pull him to and past his desired rpm shift so why go bigger?
Thats all i'm trying to say.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even a 220 cam can be turned over 6200rpms and still make power but the OP said he only wants to shift at 6200.
If he only wants to shift at 6200 then there is no reason to go larger than a 220 cam. The 220 will already pull him to and past his desired rpm shift so why go bigger?
Also if it is too big, whats the point if the head won't support it??

John
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rpm's and shift points are changable....6200 is not set in stone. I like all the options you guys are givin me. goals are only as far as my tranny will alow them right now.

question....what are the advantages of a split cam, either to the intake side or exaust?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

no one was talking him out of a stall he already has. if he dont want to turn over 6200. i say go with a comp 212/218 cam, its an already proven cam..no need to run a tr220 then
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I see what your saying and it makes sense... I road in the fastrt's truck sunday, he mentioned lowering the stall speed, which would allow him to make better use of the powerband of the cam he chooses... So since he only wants to spin up to 6200, maybe a smaller cam or smaller stall speed or both? Also changing the advance and LSA will also change where the powerband comes in...

Another option, today I road in an ext cab with a 3800 converter and a 214/220 low lift @114+2, and that truck flat out moved, only shifting at 6200, i was completely surprised.... It was really comparable to another friends 224/224 6.0, which both trucks I have riden in alot...

So with all the posts in this thread, I think we need more details on what the OP wants to do with the truck... Only spinning to 6200 kinda limits the cams one can choose to make full use of the power, at least IMO...
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I see what your saying and it makes sense... I road in the fastrt's truck sunday, he mentioned lowering the stall speed, which would allow him to make better use of the powerband of the cam he chooses... So since he only wants to spin up to 6200, maybe a smaller cam or smaller stall speed or both? Also changing the advance and LSA will also change where the powerband comes in...

Another option, today I road in an ext cab with a 3800 converter and a 214/220 low lift @114+2, and that truck flat out moved, only shifting at 6200, i was completely surprised.... It was really comparable to another friends 224/224 6.0, which both trucks I have riden in alot...

So with all the posts in this thread, I think we need more details on what the OP wants to do with the truck... Only spinning to 6200 kinda limits the cams one can choose to make full use of the power, at least IMO...
see my last post. you have done the research and understand that the dcr needs to be good also. why the split on your new cam?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
no one was talking him out of a stall he already has. if he dont want to turn over 6200. i say go with a comp 212/218 cam, its an already proven cam..no need to run a tr220 then
I'd have to say thats right on point. A 212/218 will pull to the current rpm limit he expressed. Nonone mentioned smaller than 220 thats why i was pushing the 220 not smaller.

Quick Reply: help me match a cam to my stall....