Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers recommendations?

I've got a 2008 Silverado 5.3 looking for exhaust headers, been looking at Pacesetters, but wondering if yall had any other recommendations, I'am on a budget, I'd prefer LT's with an aftermarket Y-pipe so I can bolt it up to factory cat back exhaust, or will consider shorties if they bolt to factory Y-pipe?
Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Speed Engineering has a thread in the sponsor sales section... If youre looking for a budget header/y-pipe setup theyre the way to go...
Old 09-14-2015, 04:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I waited and saved a couple years until I found a great deal on my Kooks, and so glad I held out for a non budget brand. they were worth it.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do, DO NOT buy the ebay headers with the hump on the driver side. These have been the biggest cause for issue with my truck so far. Spend the few extra $$$ and at least get Speed Engineering or something like Pacesetter. If you don't plan on going turbo ever, I would go one step further and really consider something like ARH.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

I have ZERO complaints with the ebay header/ypipe setup i got for $330 shipped. install was a joke, only thing I did differently was I used the stock manifold bolts for the headers at the heads, and I put better bolts for the clamps. fitment is great and have no leaks.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Chainsaw
I have ZERO complaints with the ebay header/ypipe setup i got for $330 shipped. install was a joke, only thing I did differently was I used the stock manifold bolts for the headers at the heads, and I put better bolts for the clamps. fitment is great and have no leaks.
Well I'll have to add on to my review a little bit...

For my 4WD truck, the CLEARANCE is TERRIBLE with the headers. Almost all of the primaries bend too close to the head and all but maybe 2 plug wires touch the primaries. The hump has been the biggest PITA to deal with as far as R&Ring plugs and wires.

The headers themselves rub the frame rails on BOTH drive and passenger side. The driver side header was also contacting the front axle yoke until I clearanced the header some. The y-pipe was also an issue where it comes together. Minor issue with the pipes being too close together. Had to cut the tab that holds the two pipes together and spread the pipes out to be able to get the band clamp on the pipe. Also one of the bungs was too close to where a band clamp goes and had to notch the clamp to fit.

This may not be an issue on 2WD or any other set. But mine just seemed like they must have been made on a Monday or Friday.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

And that's the stuff you can see on the cheap stuff. Then there's R&D. Expensive brands do it cheap knockoffs copy visually, but if it was identical it'd fit the same...
No clue if the power will be the same.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends what inside of tubes look like as far as welds and joints go..... Im sure the higher end are better but not even sure how much hp/tq difference there would be when it comes right down to it.... Probably pretty negligible!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I'm really liking the Speed Engineering, thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Np saw your post figured id turn you on to em, im gonna order a set for my 99 silverado and as soon as i have money for my 2010 camaro

Quick Reply: headers recommendations?