Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy - headers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of 1-7/8s with 3" collectors . . . used off of here a while back from Texaspainter or IMD . . . but he's been banned from here.

I was told that they were a self kit from Stainless Works. They fit my 4wd, 80e setup like a glove, no rubbing or cutting anything.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
What about a set for an 05 H2 Hummer?
sorry,no H2 products, we just discontinued that line, H2's are great, just picked up some Hummer wheels for my K5 project!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I mentioned something about a bigger header and the next post was a pic of some 8.1 stuff???
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I mentioned something about a bigger header and the next post was a pic of some 8.1 stuff???
What specific application do you want the larger primary headers? What years are the most popular?

Honestly, we have gotten so many requests that it may be time to step up and follow up with our customers request. We can get a truck in here in the next few months, so please help.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
What specific application do you want the larger primary headers? What years are the most popular?

Honestly, we have gotten so many requests that it may be time to step up and follow up with our customers request. We can get a truck in here in the next few months, so please help.

We are all looking for a quality 1 7/8"tube 3" collector for the 6.0-6.2's and FI 5.3's. Something with a spiked collector without the high *** prices of Kooks or ARH! If y'all had a shop in Houston I would gladly drop off my truck for some R&D!

I like how y'all are listening to the customer and trying to build what we want!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stainless Works

There are plenty of truck guys that resorted to running 2" primary "F" body headers with a 3.5" collector in their trucks in an effort to get the bigger tubes. (1 7/8 have been available for quite some time).

Most normally aspirated guys are running 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 headers while the forced induction guys are running either the biggest they can afford or the biggest they can find normally 1 7/8 - 2"........personally, I went with stainless works 1 3/4" years ago because that was the biggest I could find at the time in stainless for a fair price.......back then I was running a stock camshaft and 8 lbs of boost they seemed to do just fine............but now that I'm running 11 lbs of boost and a much larger exhaust lobe they run rather hot! my EGT gauge and the discoloration on the metal confirm this.

years ago when we were all getting started on our projects 1 3/4" primaries made perfect sense......now, years later.....alot of our projects have matured to the point of making much higher power levels (to include max effort or near max effort projects).........I can tell you my next header purchase will be minimum 2" primary headers as I will skip 1 7/8 all together.....just waiting for someone to manufacturer them!

Last edited by moregrip; 11-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
There are plenty of truck guys that resorted to running 2" primary "F" body headers with a 3.5" collector in their trucks in an effort to get the bigger tubes. (1 7/8 have been available for quite some time).

Most normally aspirated guys are running 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 headers while the forced induction guys are running either the biggest they can afford or the biggest they can find normally 1 7/8 - 2"........personally, I went with stainless works 1 3/4" years ago because that was the biggest I could find at the time in stainless for a fair price.......back then I was running a stock camshaft and 8 lbs of boost they seemed to do just fine............but now that I'm running 11 lbs of boost and a much larger exhaust lobe they run rather hot! my EGT gauge and the discoloration on the metal confirm this.

years ago when we were all getting started on our projects 1 3/4" primaries made perfect sense......now, years later.....alot of our projects have matured to the point of making much higher power levels (to include max effort or near max effort projects).........I can tell you my next header purchase will be minimum 2" primary headers as I will skip 1 7/8 all together.....just waiting for someone to manufacturer them!
I know edelbrock makes them, just not sure if they are available anymore.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe me there are more then enough people that will buy a 1 7/8 header if you could make them and keep the prices competitive..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip

I couldn't agree more John. I went with the 1 3/4 kit with the catted y-pipe, and actually did a test fit for SW and reported back to them about the fitment. At the time, SW only listed the headers/y-pipe for the 03-05 (this was in 05), and they were not sure if they would fit the 99-02's, so I cut a deal with the good folks at SW (can't remember who I talked to, it was like over 6 years ago ), and they hooked me up with a killer price on the kit, which arrived while I was home healing from shoulder and elbow surgery. As soon as I healed up from that, and then a cardiac episode a few months later, I did the install and it was almost a perfect fit. It was tight on the passenger side, and I took pics and sent them to SW, and I'm pretty sure that they made adjustments as I've seen pics of their newer headers and there are no clearance issues. I even shipped my old Gibson shorty to SW so they could take measurements for the EGR and whatnot, and a short while later they shipped it back to me.

Oh, BTW, my "catted" y-pipe is just for looks now, if you know what I mean. I hammered and chiseled the expensive stuff out, and I've been very happy with the results
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
We are all looking for a quality 1 7/8"tube 3" collector for the 6.0-6.2's and FI 5.3's. Something with a spiked collector without the high *** prices of Kooks or ARH! If y'all had a shop in Houston I would gladly drop off my truck for some R&D!

I like how y'all are listening to the customer and trying to build what we want!
^this

Quick Reply: Group buy - headers!