Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

got some problems what do you think the damage is-long

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some problems what do you think the damage is-long

well i posted this on a couple other sites and im going to copy and paste the same description to save time. the truck is a 98 silverado 350. Well i don't know what is wrong with my vehicle, but whatever it is it isn't good. i will know for sure whats wrong when i tear into it tommorow. But for what happened i raced a freind of mine (it was just a fun race he has a stock civic and i have a 14 second vehicle with no juice) and i got on it and then i braked at a stop light and went to make a turn to go homw, well when i stopped the whole car started to shake violantely and then died. i restarted and it seemed to run perfectly fine, well i turn into my neighborhood and it starts to shake again and die, i was low on gas and figured it was because the gas slushed forward and killed the engine because there was no fuel. well i went to the gas station and on the way it ran fine, then it started shaking violently well going down the road and started making a loud knocking noise then it went away completly (very wierd). after i filled up at the gas station i started it and it imediately started shaking and knocking and dies again. so i restart it and go to my buddies who has a tech 2, well at the time it decided it would run fine again. we found the ignition timing to be off slightly so we fixed that and went for a test drive and it was fine, so i decided to give it medium throttle and it started shaking and missing so i let off and it continued to shake. we then monitired missfires and found that cylinder 7 was missing like crazy (****ty news because thats the cylinder that always dies if its lower end). we go back to his place and let it idle where it starts to shake realy bad but doesn't make any abnormal noise at first and then it starts knocking again, so where like wtf. we continue to screw with it and shut the injector off via the tech2 to the #7 cylinder and the rpm drop is very little. we continue to mess with it and after running it for a little bit it shakes and knocks all the time now. we aren't sure what it is because we haven't torn into it yet but from the type of noise it seems lower end, but from all the test we ran it seems upper end. the oil pressure is still fine, so it would seem that the bearings are fine, it doesn't smoke or have symptoms of blow by so it seems like the piston and rings are fins, so the only other thing we think it could be is broken pirston pin, bent pushrod, loose rocker, broken valve spring, or broken or bent valve. it seems most likely to be a spring or broken pin because of how the problem is intermentint along with the sound, but i should know how much damge is done tommorow. this is kinda the short story of what happened to

well today i pulled the valve covers off and didn't find any problems there, i then pulled the #7 spark plug which was the one that was showing up as missing and found this the one on the left is a old one that was replaced along time ago the one on the right is the one that i pulled i put the other one on there as a refrence . i'm now thinking i should pull the heads, what damage do you guys think is done and what should i do?
Old 08-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Man that sucks never seen that before.What is brand of that plug.And i hate to tell ya but it's not going to be pretty with that electrode floating in there for sure new piston rings.bore and hone.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mn Avalanche
Man that sucks never seen that before.What is brand of that plug.And i hate to tell ya but it's not going to be pretty with that electrode floating in there for sure new piston rings.bore and hone.
well i pulled the intake manifold off tonight and the heads. i found the #7 cylinder to be all scared, and it seems as if i have spun a rod bearing. also the valves and valve seats have suffered some damage on #7, it looks like some engine mods are in order, but just not quote in the way i wanted . thanks bosch
Old 08-08-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well here are some more pics of my progress for those interested

Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

haha.. thankfully, my plug just melted shut instead of breaking off.. but it was on number 7 as always. also i blew the rings out of number 7 on my last motor. hope you can fix it!