Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Going to check out the new Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was wrong 03
Old 01-15-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I had you gasping for air there for a second . Yeah, I shouldn't have said that, I'll never do it again lol Maybe it's taking so long because Hodgster is getting a turbo on his truck.

Anyway, hurry Hodgeee hurry, how was the ride?

Sorry for all the smilies...they're just so fun to use especially the evil bat one
Old 01-16-2004, 02:58 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, he's going to let you drive his truck? I go to Vegas all the time, I want to drive it too!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DAMN, sorry about the wait, my parents forced me into going to dinner and a movie after I was done at CMotorsports. Just got home.

The turbo truck was sitting out front with the hood open so I went to look how all the plumbing looks. I was later told that all things in this motor was prototype so that all the real parts will look like polished metal, and they will have a choice between gunmetal grey, blue, red, or black piping(Freakin Sweet). The truck was a 2001 chevy extra cab 2 wheel drive with a standard bed. The parts did look prototypish with big weld marks and what not, but once they get the specs and bends down, it should look factory made. It is a pretty tight fit in there, but there is a minimum of at least 3 to 4"s of space between the turbo and anything else. They also have custom tubing for the airconditioning, that will rerout what needs to be and still look stock. The completed kits should be ready to sell and install in 2 to 3 weeks. There is no slop or loose fitting parts, everything seemed real tight and secure. Any truck with EGR piping, it has to be removed, and retuned for it according to Seth, so 2002 and newer trucks will be a slightly easier install. The Coolant tank is moved to the back towards the passenger side firewall and it is replaced with a Corvette coolant tank that points the hoses downward to avoid clearance problems with the turbo. All the hose clamps are the solid metal bands with a real nut and bolt attachment for leak free pressure systems. If you have an air intake then you wasted your money cause all these kits have a tube and conical filter pushed down right underneath where the stock airbox goes. So sorry I did not take pictures, but it was not allowed to prevent copying of the system.

At the time the water intercooler tank was not attached since they found that they could fit a larger cooler tank for better extended performance. Seth told me that the system was thus loosing about 15 to 20% of its efficiency or performance on this truck at the time. The truck had 72,000 miles with 9,000+ miles with the turbo and no problems. He took me for a spin but alas did not let me drive. The truck felt completely stock under normal driving, and does not go into boost unless at least 50% throttle is applied. The system is tuned for 8lbs of boost, and they have gotten 440hp at the rear tires with a completely stock motor except for a magnaflow exhaust system. While doing 60 on the freeway he puched it, and it just pushed me into the seat, but it felt like the motor was not really even trying. Wasn't loud or abrupt just quickly popped up to 100 without effort. He also did two standing stop runs, and there was turbo lag until about 2500rpms. Now they have three different turbos for the kit. The smallest turbo is reported to have no noticable lag time, just spools up like a centrifigul supercharger like a Vortech or Procharger. This will give great power all around but will limit you to about 550hp, so for most this is what you are gonna want. The T66 is what he recommended to me for anyone who may in the future beef up the internals of the motor, and is capable of 650 to 700hp, with little turbo lag. He said that, that so far is about the biggest turbo you want to go with on a stock motor, that will let you upgrade in the future and will save you money in the long run, and is also recommended for those with taller gears like mine 4.10s, since first gear is such a strong pulling gear anyway in a smaller truck like mine, so that a little lag will help with street drivability. Then there is a turbo I forget the nominclature, that they had on their truck, that is capable of 720hp and above. Due to this, this is why Seth said that there is a large turbo lag of 2500rpms on this truck, but they are planning to tear the motor down and build this one, since it is the test ponny for there larger turbo kits in the future. He is also going to run this truck next Friday at the track to get some performance numbers, I will go with them, and report on that too!

The other turbos besides stock are $200 upgrades. The kit will be priced at $4950, and will include everything needed for the vehicle, including everything needed for the fuel system, but sorry did not go into much detail with him on it, and computer tunning.

The truck we were in had a stock transmission, and you could feel it slip big time on all the shifts, they have not had the time to rebuild the transmission yet, and it felt like it had a very limited life on it. It is recommended to go with a 2400 stall speed converter, Vigilante is what they recommend, and if you got 3.73 gears to not go higher since the turbo works better with more drag or resistance on the system. They told me when I get mine to just drive it and if it feels wrong put the 3.73s back into my truck. I also timed them with my watch and I got 0 to 90 in about 11 seconds according to my watch. This equated to me, and felt to me, to be somewhere in the mid to low 13s in the quarter, but since the water intercooler was not even attached and was supposed to be loosing up to 20% power, I have to say, DAMN this pulls strong. They also have a huge blowoff valve on the system that sounds sweet when letting off the throttle. The best part of this, is that the truck just felt like it was effortlessly accelerating with no hassle or abruptness. I have onwed two vehicles with roots superchargers on them, and if you have driven them, they are great, but man they slam the system when on em, this thing pulled just like my friends WRX, as if it wanted to go faster. I am just amazed that 8lbs of boost could make such a huge difference. If you have driven supercharged and turbo vehicles before, this system just seems real nice and great, I mean it just seems like as if the motor has effortless power that keeps comming on until readline.

I have decided on how his truck felt to go with the turbo for mine, but it will be about a month before I can afford it.

I will report again after they get some track performance numbers!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the report man!

I know what you mean about effortless power. That would be nice. What I don't like about mine is how its all or nothing. You have to make a scene to go fast.

I'll bet that stock tranny is screaming for mercy!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I always knew turbo was the way to go with our trucks. Its nice to finally see a kit out there. To bad it might not be 50 state California legal.

Hey Hodgee did the guy at CM say anything about a CARB exemption number or street legality?
Old 01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, they are working on a 50 state emission qualification, but that will be a little while in the coming. I forgot to tell you, there is a one year warrenty on the kit, one year warrenty on the install if they do it. Also if they install it for you, they will dyno tune it for $200 more, which will according to them vastly improve the overall characteristics of the power it makes. Oh to let you know, everyone who runs in Vegas at the track runs about .5 seconds slower than lets say California or low altitude areas. Lightnings that are supposed to run 14 flat, run about 14.5 to 14.6 out here in Vegas all day. So that thing hooked up right, with the coolant intercooler working, and in cali would turn a 16 second flat truck into a 13 flat truck, or probably easily mid to high 12 standard cab truck. They are showing that with the proper dyno tune and 91 pump that this system technically will add 180 hp on a stock motor, just add a freeflow catback system to get it to 200hp!

That so far and from riding in it, Damn this thing will rock! And it's got to be the tuning, cause I tell you, it feels like it runs like a stock truck, just that it plants you into the seat and holds you there until 100. It would still pull much longer, but he didn't have the roads clear to get it up there, to much traffic.

Just as a word of note to those that have transmission problems with your suped up trucks. This place knows how to build the 4l60e. They have two vehicles that put out 700+ at the rear wheels, both full size Chevy Impalas 96s. 4350lb 4 door cars that run 10 seconds or faster that pop wheelies at the start line, and are, you guessed it, running 4l60e's. Either has yet to blow the built 4l60s. They said that there is different ways of building transmissions, and theirs takes into account that people have 4500lb and heavier vehicles. They said that most of the SLP and what not builds are not designed to handle heavy vehicles, and there build technique is different and specifically takes into account the weight. That is why so many t-bird and f-body guys are running these transmissions with no problems, but they are blowing up on the trucks. They also offer a one year warrenty on the transmissions, and charge $1880 for a stage 2 build that is designed for heavy weight applications and is gauranteed to handle up to 650hp. They also have a specific build that is required to be installed for running their turbo application!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:42 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice report, seth seems like about the nicest AND most knowlagable guy i have talked to. i can't wait to be reporting on my GTECH times with 10psi on a 6.0 then 11psi, then 12psi then a 50shot.................
Old 01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
14 Second Truck Club

good god.. i'm drooling.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeez Parish, you want a nine second 1/4 mile truck don't you! Cool.

Quick Reply: Going to check out the new Turbo!