Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

GMC Syclone Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am definitely buying an '03+ RCSB 4WD Silverado as soon as my 383ci stroker Firebird sells, but I need to keep that relatively stock as my DD. So I was thinking that it would be cool to have another truck that I could do a lot more work on as a project to kill some time. The only reason why I didn't think about getting a Syclone initially is because those things are harder to find than a needle in a haystack around here. If I could find one, that would definitely be my first choice, but if I can't, I guess building one's almost as good. (Plus I've never seen a performance oriented 4WD S10 with a 406ci SBC)
Old 12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search on autotrader.com and you will find several. They are indeed hard to find, and some guys want high money for them. They are out there though, good luck
Old 12-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man, if I can't find one I'll just probably end up way over modding the Silverado until it's barely streetable. Then complain about that 'til I have to get another DD. lol, I can see it now...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

AWD does not make a car/truckfast. It just helps with traction. (your 60' will be sick though)

It was that fantastic turbo motor in the cyclone/typhoon that made those things move.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unredeemed is right, the AWD is actually limiting at a certain point. I have read where it inhibits power/times around the 10 second area ( but hey, 10 seconds in a truck! ). Most of the serious Syclone/Typhoon guys remove the front CV shafts for max speed.
I think guys like Parish and others are using the 4H to get off the line quicker and shifting into 2H soon after the launch. Jim, anyone?
Nice idea tho about the "beater". Let us know if you build it.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Drivetrain loss. simple physics. crank HP to crank HP, a 2WD car would be faster then an AWD car due to less drivetrain losses.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Drivetrain loss. simple physics. crank HP to crank HP, a 2WD car would be faster then an AWD car due to less drivetrain losses.
tell that to all the vettes, mustangs and camaros in omaha.

if your talking track only and a drag set up with slicks and other suspension parts then sure a 2wd will be faster once you figure out how to hook. not much fun on the street though.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

^ agreed. I don't know if you thought that comment through very well unredeemed, and lets please not start talking physics, I'm pretty sure I'd be better equiped in that argument. Sure, in a perfect world less parasitic drivetrain loss=faster. But we live in the real world where there is something that I like to call traction, maybe you've heard of it. If it weren't for the traction issue, sure, maybe between a 2WD and a 4WD with equal power the 2WD will be faster because more power is getting to the ground. But when we have to deal with traction or lack there of and all the wonderful things that come with it, I'll take the 4WD any day of the week, more fun. Just my .02
Old 12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Syclone's are pretty hard to find, they only made about 2995 of them (No real number has been determined). But they sure are fun. I do fine on the top end even with AWD, it's the aerodynamics of a brick wall that hurt me, but obviously I do lose more power with AWD. They have a version of the vette tranny, 700r4, but it's been pretty modified to handle our torque. The differential is out of the Astro like Jlpearl said, same as the Bravada. My truck put down 305hp and 452trq, with only a chip and intake, running a conservative 18lbs. I'm installing an alki injection kit this weekend and running Methanol, when turned on I can run up to 22 lbs pretty safely. We launch with 10lbs of boost (the crazy ones do 15-18lbs, but they snap a lot of propshafts). Our 60ft's stock are around 1.8, a local Ty just pulled off a 1.7. I'm sure I missed some questions so lemme know if there's any more. You could also check out www.syty.net for the best info.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Teching In

If the same car had the same mods, but one was 2wd and the other was 4wd. The 4wd would destroy the 2wd out of the hole so much that the 2wd couldn't catch up. Of course I drive an AWD everyday though.

Quick Reply: GMC Syclone Drivetrain