Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found out what was wrong with my motor. (this is F8L)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you decide to let go of that 5.3L let me know. I'll be local in the summer time(Bay Area) and could meet up for it. I just have to talk dad into it.

I bet that RCSB is gonna be a hoot to drive.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
I say put the Z71 back togeather as cheap as posible. And up all the money in your NEW toy.

That's kinda the plan. Or was anyway. LOL

The 5.3L will still be a blast to drive so if it's a lot cheaper to just freshen it up then that's the route I'll go.

Fandango, I'll keep you in mind mate.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Thank's Flyer. Ohh, the water damage was from actualy rain water getting sucked up from the turbo and into my motor. It started making the knocking noise the next day and progressively got worse and worse. That's why i try and educate everyone on these kits and ther ATI F-Body kits on the possible dangers of water if you act a fool and get all HYPHY in the rain. LOL :p
When you where getting all "HYPHY" in the rain did you know the engine was sucking water? I don't meen to ask such a dumb question, but I would like to know how to tell if the engine is sucking water or not. Just don't want to be replacing any wrist pins soon or cracked pistons LOL. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I knew something went really wrong but I had no idea what it was. I floored it and it downshifted and it started to push me back in the seat then BAM, nothing. Like the engine died. I lifted and the truck resumed normal driving but it felt a lil funny, kinda like a miss. I drove it home and took apart some of the piping near the TB and found some oil trapped in the piping (from an earlier incident with a bad wire conneciton for the oil pump). I cleaned it all up then on my way to the store I tried to floor it again with the same results. I did this about 4-5 more times through the course of the next 2 days. The 3rd day I was browing the FI forum and I saw a post by NastyT/A where he described the EXACT same symptoms with the same SES light and code. Turns out he had done the same thing on his ATI kit and he had to take apart all the piping and empty his intercoolers. So i checked my FMIC and sure enough it ha d abunch of water in it. So basically everytime I floored it, water would come out of the FMIC and coat the MAF and cause the MAF to freak out. If you do a search you may find my original post about it in here and see what the exact code was. I think it was a MAF Low Frequency code.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So before any engine damage a MAF SES will most likely come on? if true that is good news. Sorry to hear about the 5.3, I think you should fix it cheap like posted before.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin, I don't understand, I drive mine in the rain and never suck up any water. I've checked my filter after driving in the rain and it's dry. It must have something to do with the location of the turbo. If i remember right mine is about 16" farther back than yours. And your filter falls were the cab and the bed meet.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Jerry,

On low boost with the small filter and the sock I had ZERO problems. It was because I was running 13psi, large filter, no sock, the filter is viewable from the top of the truck between the bed and cab AND I had been driving for 2hrs through a monsoon.. I mean at times we were driving 35mph on the freeway because everyone was hydroplaining. LOL Once it cleared up is when I floored it.

I tested it after I cleaned up all the crap on low boost with the small filter and sock and it didn't even hickup. It's high boost and the large filter and no sock that did it. Chris had the same problem as well as Rick in his F-body. That same week one of our ATI buddies blew up his motor from water.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
That means you Makani! You are prime canidate for playing in the rain with your AWD. :p

That used to be my advantage
I might be getting the truck back tonight......and then getting the tune next week...after i put some heads on (from Benkey)
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

for everybody that has ic's...drill a small 1/16" hole in the bottom of your ic tank to get rid of any water or condensation...i did mine and dont have a problem with my boost since in getting my boost reference from the intake.i had gotten water in mine several times before and this helps alot...

Quick Reply: Found out what was wrong with my motor. (this is F8L)