Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fluid in valve pockets

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fluid in valve pockets

Well i decided today it was time to start swapping my stock heads with my home ported 243's. Well started off drained the water, then pulled the truck into the shop. proceeded with jacking up the rear to drain as much water as i could. Let it back down and proceeded with removing the manifold and throttlebody. Did a quick inspection of the bottom of the intake (i have a Fast 90) and see i didnt grind some of the bolts short enough not a big deal since it just kinda scratched it up where they rubbed. Well i proceeded with removing the pass. side header bolts. Got them out and was just kinda screwing around and noticed something down the #2 cylinder intake runner on the head. So i stuck a rag on the end of a little rod i had lying there and stuffed it down the runner to the valve, pulled it out and got a nice wiff of GAS, but it looked a little like oil!!!!!!!!!!! So im wondering how could this happen?? Well i looked in all the runners on both heads and all the ones that were fully closed had gas smelling stuff built up in them. I think this is all of my oil consumption issue.

I recently went to the LS6 style PCV system and it did help some but didnt cure anything. I also noticed that when i first installed it, i could crank the motor and go pull the oil cap and it had a good suction, now it doesnt!!!!!! Whats up with that??

And ive always wondered why i didnt have a very good MPH in the 1/4 and i think its because im running way too rich
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Describe in detail your PCV system. There should not be vacuum in the crankcase. I did the LS6 valley cover and it helped, but didn't cure the oil problem. You will need a catch can if you want to keep PCV.
Again, please list all of the hoses in your system (This hose goes from here to here, this one goes there, the PCV valve is here, etc.).
Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. It seemed to happen after the cam swap. Mine had enough oil consumption to cause the low oil light to go off in a few weeks.
I drilled out the driver side 3/8 tube and put in a 5/8 barb. I also removed the baffles inside the valve covers. Underneath them was what looked like crisco, or caramel. On the passenger side I capped the 3/8 tube and drilled and tapped the 5/8 barb on the oil fill cap. I ran 5/8 hose to a catch can by the A/C stuff and it has a filter on top. I noticed It catches a lot of condensation (water) now. Same thing as yours with the suction. but I didn't have it after the cam swap.
I talked to a lot of people and could not get this explained. But it runs fine so...
Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

hose comes from the LS6 valley cover, loops up to the PCV valve then into the intake manifold. Driver valve cover has the plug in the rear. Passenger valve cover has the 3/8 hose on the front to the intake tube. Just like it is on the LS6 stock
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't get it, then. Something was blocking airflow into the engine when there was suction on the oil fill cap.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive always been told a vacumn in the crankcase is what you want! Just not a pressure/boost
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you put the ls6 valley cover are put something pulling air out the valley?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep..
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by regency
ive always been told a vacumn in the crankcase is what you want! Just not a pressure/boost
There should never be very much pressure with a properly working PCV setup. As far as vacuum goes, what you are experiencing is at idle, some vacuum at WOT at any rpm would be beneficial by improving the ring seal, and at extremely high rpm by reducing piston pumping losses. A 3/8" hose couldn't possibly do this, which you already proved by getting oil into your intake. That has to be coming from ring blow-by, unless you have way too much oil in the sump. If you are using a stock PCV system, or a belt-driven vacuum pump, and you want to bring the fumes back into the intake, you will need a catch can until you rebuild the engine and have perfect ring seal.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so basically the ring gap is too wide?

Quick Reply: Fluid in valve pockets