Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-A-Lite Fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex-A-Lite Fan Install

Having Trouble...

My AC turns hot when my truck is idling and or standing still in Drive. Will only come back on when I take off. Ice cold on the highway. I know the compressor cycles and so does the temperature but now it seems excessive with the Elec Fan.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the fans arn't pulling or are pushing air from the front of the truck.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianmt75
Having Trouble...
My AC turns hot when my truck is idling and or standing still in Drive. Will only come back on when I take off. Ice cold on the highway. I know the compressor cycles and so does the temperature but now it seems excessive with the Elec Fan. Thanks in Advance.
The wire you hooked up for the compressor signal to the VSC may not be correct or have a bad connection. Perhaps the point where you connected the ingnition hot wire is bad also. I have seen when one uses a fuse clip on connection the socket for the fuse blade gets a bad connection. Chech yor connections, with the truck idling and AC on wiggle them. Use a meter. The fans come with a trouble shooting paper also. The only other thing may be the VSC is bad in the AC circuit.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

if tyhe vsc is bad try one of these.

http://www.dccontrol.com/
Old 07-21-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Any chance you wired the fans backwards?

If I recall correctly the blue wire was negative, and black was positive.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevymec
Sounds like the fans arn't pulling or are pushing air from the front of the truck.
[/QUOTE]The wire you hooked up for the compressor signal to the VSC may not be correct or have a bad connection. Perhaps the point where you connected the ingnition hot wire is bad also. I have seen when one uses a fuse clip on connection the socket for the fuse blade gets a bad connection. Chech yor connections, with the truck idling and AC on wiggle them. Use a meter. The fans come with a trouble shooting paper also. The only other thing may be the VSC is bad in the AC circuit.[/QUOTE]

therock, chevymec,

You’re both right. The Fan is pushing forward and there is something screwy with the AC lead/ignition hot.

On my way into work today my AC, Cruise Control , Odometer, Temp Gauge, Trans Temp Gauge, and center console 12V would not work and my message center was lit red with the battery symbol. Voltage was over 14 on both the voltage gauge in the dash and a voltmeter on one of my distribution blocks in the back of my truck.

I pulled over and popped the hood to check the problem. I turned the truck on and off and with the truck running I cycled the AC. I noticed that when I turned my truck on and off that my gauges would only work when the key was in the 2 position (accessory) position and would not work when the key was in the start position. On the second cycle nothing happened initially but then after about 5 seconds the AC compressor clicked on then all my gauges came back. I shut the AC off and my gauges went away. After the third AC cycle everything came on again. I turned the AC off and everything stayed on.

That's when I noticed hot air hitting my legs when the fan was on.

Should I switch to the Negative AC Lead and terminal 7on the VSC ?

Can you advise as to where your connections were made for the AC Compressor and Ignition Hot? I used the green (positive) wire off of the compressor and a fused 10 amp ignition hot in the under hood fuse block. I don't like jumping off of a fuse but that was the easiest as I didn't have insulation penetrating leads for my voltmeter during the initial install.

The troubleshooting map does not include this issue.

O2Denali, If the DC controller uses similar leads (probably does) feel free to advise in regards to your connections.

Thanks Guys...
Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02denali
if tyhe vsc is bad try one of these.

http://www.dccontrol.com/
Whoa! Those controllers aren't cheap are they?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

If the fans are pushing air through the radiator, and out the front of the truck, they're wired backwards...........

I'm not sure about the A/C problems.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It always helps if you post what year truck you have. Put it in your signature.
On my 2003 there is a green wire comming off the AC compressor that goes hot when the comp kicks in. It is hard to get to but I did it. Later I am told there is some wires that snake up near the steering pump that I could have used. Get a needle point tester to find your wire.
My ign hot is comming off the fuse box via a fuse and I messed that up. I had to work on the slot as I mentioned on my first reply. I wish I had used one of those fuses that come with a wire coming off the top of the fuse.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therock
It always helps if you post what year truck you have. Put it in your signature.
On my 2003 there is a green wire comming off the AC compressor that goes hot when the comp kicks in. It is hard to get to but I did it. Later I am told there is some wires that snake up near the steering pump that I could have used. Get a needle point tester to find your wire.
My ign hot is comming off the fuse box via a fuse and I messed that up. I had to work on the slot as I mentioned on my first reply. I wish I had used one of those fuses that come with a wire coming off the top of the fuse.
Thanks...

I used that green wire same as you.

I'm going to try and jump the ignition hot from somewhere else this evening and certinaly check my connections. I reversed the fans this afternoon.

I've never seen those Fuses with a lead. Are those available at Autozone or something?

Quick Reply: Flex-A-Lite Fan Install