Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

First Mods on a 05

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mods on a 05

Almost have my Trans am sold once i get the money i am gonna buy a 05 rcsb w/5.3 and locking Rear end.Wondering what would be the best mods to do first, i was thinkng magnaflow exhaust but i haven't heard it yet but from what people say it is good, also what would be the best intake to get.
BTW what is the avg price these are going for right now looks like employee cost is around 21k and they have another 3k rebate right now
Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I alwasy start with the easy stuff and save my tune / trans work for after the mill is broken in. Not necessary, just my habit. So I usually do the cheap, free and "no tune required" mods first - TB Bypass, tint, exhaust (I just swap mufflers, I am not really into the 700 price tag on the catbacks but thats your call), Gauges and CAI. CAI is your choice, very little difference - IMHO - between any of the kits out there. K&N, Volant....whatever you want and can come by. I use Volant and I am happy.

Then post breakin on the truck (again, probably just my un-necessary precaution) I would and am going to do the tune and my shift kit, servos at the same time so I can safely remove a huge chunk if not all of TM.

Magnaflow and Corsa seem to be the "preferred" catbacks and have produces both great performance and sound. I am going to be using the hooker aero chambers after hearing them here and dumping the exhaust, keeping the factory system except the muffler. Might replace the crossover pipe up front with a mandrel bent piece as that is the only piece I can see on the rig that is a possible restriction.

HTH. Rock on.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a 2005 Ec/sb and am just having a magnaflow exhaust put on right at this moment. I bought the magnaflow 14 x 4 x 9 muffler with 3 in/3 out and was originally going to only replace the stock muffler, but found an exhaust shop in my area that was willing to build me a matching 3 in SS intermediate and tailpipes for a pretty reasonable price.

I'll be picking up my truck in the afternoon and will post back later with how it turned out.

For the average price, I paided 37000 CAD for my truck 2 months ago and the MSRP was 45000 CAD. I'm sure that the percentage difference would be similar to what you can expect.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

exhaust, CAI, Tune. You are going to see most from the new tune
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarionT/A
Almost have my Trans am sold once i get the money i am gonna buy a 05 rcsb w/5.3 and locking Rear end.Wondering what would be the best mods to do first, i was thinkng magnaflow exhaust but i haven't heard it yet but from what people say it is good, also what would be the best intake to get.
BTW what is the avg price these are going for right now looks like employee cost is around 21k and they have another 3k rebate right now

hey i got just what your looking for.. a 05 rcsb 5.3l, g80, 3.73 with mods in sig for sale for 21k it has 6500 miles and if u want to look heres a ink to my forsale page..but if not i love my magnaflow catback..bolt on in your driveway and no muffler shop weldin on your new truck just my .02

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...5&page=1&pp=10
Old 07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I am really happy with the hooker and volant combo on my truck. My pcm should be here today. I cant wait.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Default Corsa yes.

Corsa Catbacks are endorsed by GM. In your negotiations try and get it for dealership cost. I like the touring. A really nice sound that opens up under throttle and as advertised, no in cab drone.
I'll try and find out dealership cost and get back. Maybe one of the dealership members can toss it out there.
The 05's are really bogged down by GM's tuning. I am told by a tuner they have more torque managment than previous years. So do not dispare at first.
You will love the new brakes and ice cold air in the city from the e-fans. Gas milage will not improve untill 10 to 15k.

Starters?
1.K&N drop in.
2.Corsa.
3. Nelson Tune.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Masked
Corsa Catbacks are endorsed by GM. In your negotiations try and get it for dealership cost. I like the touring. A really nice sound that opens up under throttle and as advertised, no in cab drone.
I'll try and find out dealership cost and get back. Maybe one of the dealership members can toss it out there.
The 05's are really bogged down by GM's tuning. I am told by a tuner they have more torque managment than previous years. So do not dispare at first.
You will love the new brakes and ice cold air in the city from the e-fans. Gas milage will not improve untill 10 to 15k.

Starters?
1.K&N drop in.
2.Corsa.
3. Nelson Tune.
gas milage is awesome in these things. I bought my Corsa sport for 480 shipped from a chevy dealer. I agree I think a drop in filter would be better then spending 200+. Also think about making your own CAI.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies and advice so maybe the gains from the CAI aren't worth the money and just get a K&N filter, does the same thing go for the exhaust as well that just replacing the muffler will net the same gains as a $500+ cat back?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by MarionT/A
Thanks for the replies and advice so maybe the gains from the CAI aren't worth the money and just get a K&N filter, does the same thing go for the exhaust as well that just replacing the muffler will net the same gains as a $500+ cat back?

I really think its close. They are both straight thru mufflers. The thing with corsa is the no drone sound. Its super quiet inside. Loud and good tone on the out. I gained around a .1 sec in the 1/4, but I am at 4000ft so the gain is probaly better around sealevel. I really like the hooker because of the sound quality and gains for the money. I would say try it. If you dont like your only out 60 bucks.

I have a vid of what the hooker sounds like in my sig.