Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

F/R Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors And Axxis Ultimate Pads Package Free S&H

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Be aware that ATE Super Blue is DOT 4 fluid, not DOT 5.

True, but other than it not being a silicone base chemical, I dont see the problem.
Here are the DOT specs:

-DOT 3:
Dry BP : 401
Wet BP : 284

-DOT 4:
Dry BP : 446
Wet BP : 311

-DOT 5:
Dry BP : 509
Wet BP : 356

And ATE Super Blue BPs:
Dry BP : 536
Wet BP : 392

The ATE exceeds the DOT 5 specs and is non silicone. Im not sure if GMC uses a silicone based fluid, but on this page LINK it says:

"With the advent of ABS systems, the limitations of existing brake fluids have been recognized and the brake fluid manufacturers have been working on formulations with enhanced properties. However, the chosen direction has not been silicone. The only major user of silicone is the US Army. It has recently asked the SAE about a procedure for converting from silicon back to DOT 3-4."

Im not a brake expert, but my SS lines and ATE seems to work great. Is there any reasons why I shouldnt be running a DOT 4 fluid?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chingon
I would respond but then big bad Parish might erase my post
Now what?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you don't want to use a silicone brake fluid in a car, let along a car you want to be performance vehicle. Talk about spongy pedal! Silicone is compressible unlike typical brake fluid.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eurosys
unredeemed,
hahaha, you forgot to mention the air inside the tires also play a role.

They do actually.

After years of auto-x, driving schools, karting, and track days in various vehicles. Braking is something that I had to learn and learn quick. Because it's often the most overlooked upgrade for any enthusiast. Add to that the mis-information that x-drilled rotors/slotted rotors decrease your braking distance, or more pistons decrease your braking distance.

There is a lot of knowledge on Stoptech's website. There is also some good n00b knowledge on tirerack.com. It's a good read for anyone looking to upgrade their brakes and don't know where to start.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
True, but other than it not being a silicone base chemical, I dont see the problem.
Here are the DOT specs:

-DOT 3:
Dry BP : 401
Wet BP : 284

-DOT 4:
Dry BP : 446
Wet BP : 311

-DOT 5:
Dry BP : 509
Wet BP : 356

And ATE Super Blue BPs:
Dry BP : 536
Wet BP : 392

The ATE exceeds the DOT 5 specs and is non silicone. Im not sure if GMC uses a silicone based fluid, but on this page LINK it says:

"With the advent of ABS systems, the limitations of existing brake fluids have been recognized and the brake fluid manufacturers have been working on formulations with enhanced properties. However, the chosen direction has not been silicone. The only major user of silicone is the US Army. It has recently asked the SAE about a procedure for converting from silicon back to DOT 3-4."

Im not a brake expert, but my SS lines and ATE seems to work great. Is there any reasons why I shouldnt be running a DOT 4 fluid?
Never said it was a problem, just pointing out a discrepancy in the information that this vendor was putting out. Personally, I alternate between Super Blue and TYP 200, it is good stuff. But the point is, you cannot mix DOT 4 and DOT 5 fluids, and from what I understand, you really don't want to run DOT 5 in a stock/daily driven vehicle. DOT 4 is just fine.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Never said it was a problem, just pointing out a discrepancy in the information that this vendor was putting out. Personally, I alternate between Super Blue and TYP 200, it is good stuff. But the point is, you cannot mix DOT 4 and DOT 5 fluids, and from what I understand, you really don't want to run DOT 5 in a stock/daily driven vehicle. DOT 4 is just fine.
I may remember wrong, but, I believe DOT 5.1 can be used in a DOT4 system.
Distincly different from DOT5.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, if your interested

http://www.motul.com/uk/produits/index.html
Old 01-25-2005, 11:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

How long is this going to last?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
You are allowed to have an opinion is someone doesnt like your opinion thats fine. But if they try to infringe on your opinion then thats f#cked up so post up your opinion or if the threat of **** mod action is to great PM it to me. And Ill post it up for you.

But really I do want to know your opinion
Sent you a PM. Here's basically what I've PM-ed other guys...I added a little more here though...
My only complaint is that they squeal too much for my taste. They don't squeal at higher speeds like when braking on the freeway or anything like that, they only squeal when you're moving slowly, like in traffic and you brake, or when coming to a stop. Maybe I'm just used to the quiet stock braking that I had before, I just don't like it. Perhaps others won't get the squealing or wouldn't mind it. Macadayear has them in the front too and I believe he told me that his don't squeal much.
As far as improved braking, I noticed a small difference with them, nothing out of this world however. I did them at the same time I replaced my brake lines for Earl's stainless steel lines, brand new pads and new fluid so I can't say for sure that the improved braking is the result of the new rotors. The pedal feel is definitely better, I don't get that horrible, "Holy **** stooooop!" feeling like before (it feels like you push the brake all the way to the floor and it doesn't slow down like it "should"). It is a 2-ton truck after all.
BUT they do look nice
It's not like my truck was fast in the first place so it doesn't really matter
Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Default brakes

Originally Posted by Chingon
Sent you a PM. Here's basically what I've PM-ed other guys...I added a little more here though...
My only complaint is that they squeal too much for my taste. They don't squeal at higher speeds like when braking on the freeway or anything like that, they only squeal when you're moving slowly, like in traffic and you brake, or when coming to a stop. Maybe I'm just used to the quiet stock braking that I had before, I just don't like it. Perhaps others won't get the squealing or wouldn't mind it. Macadayear has them in the front too and I believe he told me that his don't squeal much.
As far as improved braking, I noticed a small difference with them, nothing out of this world however. I did them at the same time I replaced my brake lines for Earl's stainless steel lines, brand new pads and new fluid so I can't say for sure that the improved braking is the result of the new rotors. The pedal feel is definitely better, I don't get that horrible, "Holy **** stooooop!" feeling like before (it feels like you push the brake all the way to the floor and it doesn't slow down like it "should"). It is a 2-ton truck after all.
BUT they do look nice
It's not like my truck was fast in the first place so it doesn't really matter
I have these brake's on my camaro and will get them for my truck soon as my stocker's are starting to warp. this will squeal if you don't brake them in properly. however if you brake them in slowly and proply they make no more noise then stock brake's. I know this cause I didn't do this properly the first time so I replaced the pad's and broke them in properly without a single problem since. I now put on about 25k on them as well and pad's are less then half warn with aggressive driving.

Quick Reply: F/R Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors And Axxis Ultimate Pads Package Free S&H