Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust upgrades and opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrades and opinions needed.

After crapping my self on the price of custom straight pipe I ordered up some pre-bent pipe and a piece of 3" straight from a local supplier. With $70 invested and about 1.5 hours so far this is where I am at.

The question from here is. Do I leave it dumped just a bit further past this point, should I go out the roll pan just out side of the licence plate. My original plan was two oval tips under the roll pan again just out side of the licence plate.

If I go through the roll pan I would probably leave it raw 3" pipe. I have the oval tips so I don't think I like that idea but it is always a possability. I would powder coat the tips black weather they are in the roll pan or under.

It is suprisingly quite. The 30-40 minutes I have driven it in the past 4 days it doesn't seem to have any droan issues, if I decide it is too loud or anyoing at any point I can easily add a muffler but we will see down the road.
Thanks for you idea in advance.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

No opinions on what would look best. My personal favorite is out of the roll pan and I think that is what I will be doing. My next plan is to possibly add a muffler to one side of the Y behind the axle. I can tell a noticeable amount of torque loss with no muffler. Then the other side I would love a valve that opens under hard throttle but not sure the best way to go about it without spending tons of money. I found some vacuum operated valves from Ferrari's that car $1300!!! Kinda blows my budget.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
No opinions on what would look best. My personal favorite is out of the roll pan and I think that is what I will be doing. My next plan is to possibly add a muffler to one side of the Y behind the axle. I can tell a noticeable amount of torque loss with no muffler. Then the other side I would love a valve that opens under hard throttle but not sure the best way to go about it without spending tons of money. I found some vacuum operated valves from Ferrari's that car $1300!!! Kinda blows my budget.
Lambo's have the same vacuum valves. Here's a 04 Gallardo that I built an exhaust for:

In 05 they went with the valves but most guys remove them.

In your situation, I feel the same way. And I know of a great way to accomplish the cut out when you want it without spending an arm and a leg.

Get an electric cut out, one that opens fast, I don't know of a brand that does. But I know that some open real slowly, and that some open pretty quick. Hook up the power to a nitrous controller that is activated by your TPS. If you get the right controller you can set rpm and/or throttle position. I've never done this before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My 1gen Tundra runs Long Tube headers, no cats, X pipe and dual BAmufflers (which I build) and exits out the sides just before the rear tires. I've recently built another set of pipes for long road trips which incorporate another set of mufflers. It's much quieter, and it has quite a bit of low end torque compared to only 1 set of mufflers, however, it lost more top end than the bottom end that it gained. So like you, I really want an automatic cut out.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I thoght about the electric cut out. We will see with time what I go with.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your taking the z71 body parts off i like the factory exit..
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
Lambo's have the same vacuum valves. Here's a 04 Gallardo that I built an exhaust for:

04 Lamborghini Gallardo High Performance aftermarket exhaust system by BAmufflers - YouTube
Lamborghini Gallardo Performance exhaust system - YouTubeperformance boats

In 05 they went with the valves but most guys remove them.

In your situation, I feel the same way. And I know of a great way to accomplish the cut out when you want it without spending an arm and a leg.

Get an electric cut out, one that opens fast, I don't know of a brand that does. But I know that some open real slowly, and that some open pretty quick. Hook up the power to a nitrous controller that is activated by your TPS. If you get the right controller you can set rpm and/or throttle position. I've never done this before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My 1gen Tundra runs Long Tube headers, no cats, X pipe and dual BAmufflers (which I build) and exits out the sides just before the rear tires. I've recently built another set of pipes for long road trips which incorporate another set of mufflers. It's much quieter, and it has quite a bit of low end torque compared to only 1 set of mufflers, however, it lost more top end than the bottom end that it gained. So like you, I really want an automatic cut out.
Damn... that Lambo sounded superb..

Last edited by ChimpyNuts; 04-10-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by andrew383
Unless your taking the z71 body parts off i like the factory exit..
The dimple for the factory exit is so small it won't cause anyone to look twice without a pipe there. And the factory exit is lame and well stock. Anything stock isn't a good thing.

Thanks for your opinion but it is not an option.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

After a 4 hour ride round trip to Cleveland I am content with the sound of no muffler. This was with it dumped above the axle. At 60 mph is the only time I had any annoying droan. At 55 she is great and 65 it is great so cruising isn't an issue. Now towing may be another story but when I tow I don't usually have the family with me so if it is annoying atleast I won't need to hear the old lady complain.

I am in no hurry but I would like to add a muffler simply for back pressure to regain some of the low end torque. If and when I do this I will put the muffler on one side of the Y behind the axle like I talked.

Who has electric cut outs and how fast are they? Not sure if a spring-ed flapper would be the way to go, or an electric cut out. I would like it to be self contained, something similar to how a lot of performance cars are today, a spring-ed flap that opens under heavy throttle. Don't the vetts have mufflers like that with a bypass?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Spring-ed = sprung
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Not 100% sure. But it would be a flapper with a spring to keep it closed untill enough exhaust pushed it open.
Sprung, spring-ed, sprang, call it what you want but it should have a "best of both worlds" outcome if done correctly.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrades and opinions needed.