Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust popping noise, how get rid of?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust popping noise, how get rid of?

See sig for mods.

I honestly don't have the headers on yet, they are sitting on the desk at work but I have been too lazy to put them on.

Right now the exhaust come out the manifolds via 2.5" pipe then into 2 40 series (non-delta) blowmasters and dumped underneath. I know the flows don't actually flow much, but it's good enough for me. There is an H pipe on it right after the drivers side pipe comes over to the pass side (very short H, maybe 4 inches) I don't any real problem with how loud it is, but it pops really bad at around 2k, almost like glass packs. Anyone have an idea how to get rid of it? I was thinking of ditching the H pipe and having the pipes just bent to where they are touching and then cutting out about a 6" section in between both and welding them together. Hard to explain. I would try an X pipe, but it looks really restrictive to me.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

now I told you this will happen. I got the x pipe and that took care of it.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cstchevy
now I told you this will happen. I got the x pipe and that took care of it.
yeah yeah yeah.... the X-pipe looks really restrictive though, I have a hard time justifying the true duals with that, it looks like it chokes it down to about a single 3 inch hole...
Old 07-14-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

well it cancelled out the popping on mine and made it have a more aggressive note while quieting it down just a tad.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retsell
yeah yeah yeah.... the X-pipe looks really restrictive though, I have a hard time justifying the true duals with that, it looks like it chokes it down to about a single 3 inch hole...

backpressure is not always a BAD thing. the x-pipe will give you a more torquey feeling as it adds a little more low-end grunt.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Take off the H pipe and replace it with an X pipe and the popping will be gone and you will have a more aggresive sound. It does look restrictive but it works and its actually not that restrictive-you have to have some backpressure with any exhaust setup.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't like the "POWER POPS"?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Deckhand
backpressure is not always a BAD thing. the x-pipe will give you a more torquey feeling as it adds a little more low-end grunt.
I thought the x-pipe was for maintaining flow at high RPM's while an H-pipe was for building torque?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't it true that you get some more torque when going smaller on pipes and more HP when going larger? (Someone told me that and i'm not sure if its true, and yeah i know you can't run 1/2" pipes and get LOTS or torque , and likewise run no headers and get monster HP . I think its a minor tuning thing right?)
Old 07-15-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
Isn't it true that you get some more torque when going smaller on pipes and more HP when going larger? (Someone told me that and i'm not sure if its true, and yeah i know you can't run 1/2" pipes and get LOTS or torque , and likewise run no headers and get monster HP . I think its a minor tuning thing right?)
velocity

Quick Reply: exhaust popping noise, how get rid of?