Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

exhaust gurus... come in here

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
On newer LS trucks changing the muffler is a decision primarily made for sound. Stock they technically flow damm good for most applications that are going to be daily driven.
X2...on a n/a application a stock muffler works fine with headers and increased diameter pipe...I am running a large "turbo" style muffler and did not lose any signifigant power vs. my Corsa
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about an electric cut out? Weld it on just before the muffler and you could open it when you want free flowing exhaust and close it when you want it quiet.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^thats what im about to do, put a stock muff back on after my cutout
Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have LPP's with the 22" magnaflow si/so 3" on stock piping and it is loud. I put a 4x14" magnaflow 3" muffler before the big one, and that helped a little, but still very loud. I am going to put either the 6" or 7" round one in place of the 4" one soon and hope that quiets it down. I even have my doors and tailgate dynamatted.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the cats will have a dramatic impact on the sound, as well as dumping the exhaust after the muffler. My Gibson cat back was whisper quiet (si/do), then I removed the tailpipes and dumped it and it got very loud...the muffler has about a 28" long case btw, and is a chambered design IIRC. Well, I gutted my cats when I did my trans swap and it seemed like it got twice as loud...same thing happened when I gutted the single 3" cat on my 85 MonteSS, the volume of the exhaust increased from a 5 to an 11. As mentioned, depending on where you live, you may need to have cats on there for the visual part of your state inspection, I know that we need them here in Jersey...every time that I've gone through inspection they stick a mirror under my truck. You could always get resonators that look like cats and have them welded in place of the cats, it well help with the noise and visual inspection (if necessary)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

this is some interesting stuff. So really I get that a muffler is more for sounds and not performance? so as long as Im making under 500hp NA the stuck muffler vs a corsa would pretty much be about the same in performance? WOW! If thats the case, Ill stick stock muffler.

I expect alot more volume with the ORY and longtubes. I dont have to worry about visual. Plus I have a few connections here and there. I just would like it to be quiet. I had a magnaflow on a OBS and its was stupid loud with LTs and no cats, and that was a 22" SI/SO. Also had a wicked drone at 2200 rpm. But then again that was a bigger engine than this!

Thus me wanting to use the stock muffler so bad. And if that is still loud, I may add a small magnaflow b4 the stock muffler. I just dont want to hinder performance. But now Im learning it will not...

Ill get some video after the install. How it sounds.

Last edited by sleeperlqx; 01-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Got the LPP with ORY installed, with stock muffler and exhaust system exited in stock location still. And DAMN its loud. Quiet to many Im sure, but noticeable now, and I would like to get it back quiet like it had the cats. But the price of 2 cats will cost more than a small magnaflow muffler or resonator. So I was thinking Ill add a small magnaflow after the stock muffler or before it. Anyone know the stock pipe size on a SUV? Maybe I can even dump it with another muffler.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

what does the inside of a stock muffler look like?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure what the inside looks like, but more than likely its baffled but it seems to flow very well. its a single in dual out then it has a wye pipe into 1 single pipe over the axle and out behind the passenger rear tire on the Tahoe.

So it may make more sense to put a small muffler infront the stock muffler.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a 7x14 magnaflow bullet to go in front of the 22" one. Hopefully I will get it put on this coming weekend. I will post up how it quiets it down.

Quick Reply: exhaust gurus... come in here