Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine oil cooler lines bypass question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine oil cooler lines bypass question

I need to see a picture of the bypass valve in the factory cooler. I'm using my cooling circuit to lube the turbo, so I need to remove the valve, but I'm not sure how it functions. I broke mine trying to remove it.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the factory cooler set-up, I have an extra one that I cut the lines to mate up to some hard tube adapetrs, then changed my mind. It's just the block, and maybe a foot of tubing. If you want it, PM me your address, I'll send it to ya. Just cover shipping.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

P.M sent, Thanks Dude!!!

Anyone got a pic of the valve itself?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's actually not a valve but a thermostat. The thermostat prevents the oil from flowing until warm enough to flow into the cooler.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Do you have any pics?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by hirdlej
It's actually not a valve but a thermostat. The thermostat prevents the oil from flowing until warm enough to flow into the cooler.
Turns out it is just a simple bypass valve. I guess if the oil was cold/thick it would bypass, but nothing relating to temp controls it (other than viscosity.) Is this how you understand it to work?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Turns out it is just a simple bypass valve. I guess if the oil was cold/thick it would bypass, but nothing relating to temp controls it (other than viscosity.) Is this how you understand it to work?
I've never played with one personally but a friend of mine put one on his 5.3L GMC Sonoma. It was explained to him by the parts counter man at the chevy dealer that it was a thermostatically controlled cooler line...... Maybe this mis-informed him. He ran the oil cooler lines that came equpped on a HD cube van.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I've never played with one personally but a friend of mine put one on his 5.7L GMC Sonoma. It was explained to him by the parts counter man at the chevy dealer that it was a thermostatically controlled cooler line...... Maybe this mis-informed him. He ran the oil cooler lines that came equpped on a HD cube van.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Here is some pretty crappy shots of the valve. I'm sure when the oil is cold it would bypass the cooler, but the bypass looks a little restrictive so I would think some would have to flow threw the cooler..

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  27.3 KB
Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That valve is a viscosity bypass, when there is too much resistance on the cooler side it relieves back into the main oil feed. Kind of temperature dependent since oil is thicker when it is cold. You can block that valve from opening by substituting something rigid for the spring or cut the spring in half and shim the side away from the slotted orifices. Cutting the spring in half will effectively double its force. Corvettes use a block on just like that with the two sides completely seperate from one another so the oil has to go through the cooler.

Quick Reply: Engine oil cooler lines bypass question